Good and bad news re mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nychot, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Fortune magazine today says the invitation for the ipad mini will go out oct 10 with an event nov 17. BUT tim cook has sent a letterto all apple employees tnkg them for a great year and names all the products from the ipad3 to the new touch AND GIVES THEM an extended thanjsgiving holiday off with pay. NO MENTION OF ANY more events this year or product. I think the mini is not going to happen this year.

2. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

There wouldn't be any mention, would there? It'd get leaked....

3. Steveo13 macrumors regular

Steveo13

Why would he mention that in his letter? The letter goes to the public as well as the employees and Apple is one of the most secretive companies in the world. If he even hinted to what was going to happen later on in the year, there would be huge problems. For example, if he stated that another event were to happen to introduce new iMac models in the beginning of November, then everybody would wait on buying the current models and wait for the new ones. This will cause a huge decrease in sales for the computer for the next month and a half, and an overstock of the current units in warehouses.

4. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Leo Laporte also mentioned expectation of an announcement by Apple next week of an Apple event.

5. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Haven't you learned how Apple operates. Why mentioned it when they can leak it and receive all that free press. Then announce it and receive more free press. It called gaming us. :)

6. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Apple usually also doesn't send out invites that far in advance, it's usually one week the invites are sent, a week later is the event. So if rumours are true of invites going out Oct. 10th, i'd say the event will be Oct. 17th, with the overall release most being the next week, likely the 26th

8. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I must be missing something. The announcement goes out Oct. 10 and the event is Nov. 17? You must mean Oct. 17. I'm not sure how any of what you posted would indicate there won't be a mini this year. What do you think they will announce on Oct. 17, if not the mini?

9. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I meant oct 17

10. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

iMac revision? Although I agree with most in saying these minor updates usually receive little fanfare.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Seems a bit odd to announce updated imacs alongside an iPad (don't see the link). Then again, a retina imac, while welcome, doesn't seem quite cool enough to merit its own keynote, yet it seems like a waste to just stealth-update it in the apple online store. :confused:

WWDC would have been the perfect time. Shame that apple missed this golden opportunity. :(

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Announcing for the sake of announcement isn't Apple's usual practice (aside from the long leads for OS revisions). They generally announce when they're ready to ramp up production. Also, the iPhone was the bigger focus for a fall announcement (if an iPad is coming at all).