Good Android tablet under $300?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Nov 15, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I was thinking of buying the Kindle Fire for $200, but with all of the new Ice Cream Sandwich rumors, what do you think the possibility of a good (famous brand, Acer, Samsung, Asus, etc) tablet that runs Ice Cream Sandwich for under $300? Do you think there will be a bunch or should I just bite the bullet on the Kindle Fire? Also do you think we're going to see a bunch of new apps on the Kindle Fire?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Kindle Fire and new Nook tablet are your best bets. I lean toward the Fire for content but I prefer the hardware on the Nook.

ICS should be open source by now so updates from Gingerbread are hopefully in the cards. Not that you can really tell you are using an Android based tablet with how customized the software is.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. I'm right with you. I love the hardware on the Nook Tablet, but the whole Amazon market appeal is nice. Plus since Kindle Fire is making lots of news, it will probably win being the cheapest of the two, which means much more apps for it.

And makyvix, I used to have an iPad, and I sold it within a few months. I just didn't like it. I think it was just too big for me, plus being that it was $650 (vs $200 Kindle Fire), I thought of it too much as a luxury item I didn't really need.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Hmm. Yea, that's true. The Thrive is an absolute no, it's just so ugly. I could always look for deals on the the Xoom, Transformer, etc.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The original Tegra 2 based ASUS Transformer might be on Black Friday sale at Best Buy for $250.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Really? How sure are you of this?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

meh. im not a huge fan of black friday deals. I went once for a computer, and i came empty handed. I wasted hours standing in the cold lol.
    what i am saying is you can go and "try" to get those BF deals, but chances are you have to be in the first 20 to actually score that deal because these tablets will go out quickly and each store carries only a few.

Your best chance at Acer/ASUS/Motorola/Samsung tablet would be online, most likely on cyber monday or a surrounding day :D

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Or maybe I should just stick with the Kindle Fire. That's sorta what I'm leaning towards.

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hehe if that is what you are leaning towards, then that should be the choice :)
    enjoy your Kindle Fire!!

13. electrodude1029, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

electrodude1029 macrumors newbie

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

I think the best android tablet under $300 is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It runs with Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich), has dual cameras, has access to the samsung app store and google play store, and many other things. It has a memory card slot for up to 32GB of external storage. It also has a IR blaster for controlling your TV. It is $250 which is $50 more than the Kindle Fire, but by paying $50 more, you get a better and more advanced tablet that you can do a lot more stuff on. I know I am a few month slate on the reply, but if you haven't already bought your Kindle Fire, then I ho pe you take this into suggestion. The one that I am talking about has a seven inch screen, but you can also get one with a ten inch screen. But I did read that you sold an iPad because it was too big, so the seven inch one is probably the best one.