Good app to write c# in?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Calby, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Hi,
    I'm wondering if you have any tip for a good app to write some basic c# code in no graphic.
    When I did use to run Windows I did use Notepad++ but as far as I can tell Notepad++ are not ported to Mac yet sadly.

2. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

SublimeText is an excellent editor - but does require a license (it can be used if you're willing to click through the occasional "buy me!" message). I found it to be worth the money to reward the developers.

There's also Microsoft's Visual Studio Code - basically a fancy programmer-oriented editor, but has many extensions to let you compile and debug in several languages (including C#).

I still love Notepad++ on Windows for heavy-lifting of text files, but for coding, Sublime and VSC are better (for me, at least!)

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

+1 for Visual Studio Code. For a Microsoft product, it's actually not bad... ;)

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Microsoft have recently released Visual Studio for macOS in preview (it's basically a rebranded Xamarin developer studio with additional functionality and made to look more like Visual Studio on Windows) and it can be downloaded here: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-mac/

It's a pretty solid IDE and worth a look IMO