Good applecare experience, and question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brom, Oct 28, 2009.

1. brom macrumors newbie

I had a good applecare experience, and I have some questions.
    I have a MBP 15" rev.4,1, 2.5ghz 6GB/200GB@7200.
    This model runs the nvidia 8600GT 512MB that was given the special repair status by apple. I had no issues for the first 18months of ownership (first owner). Last week upon opening, the computer was burning hot to touch, fans running like crazy. The screen only came on once after that, immediately after a SMC reset. After that, nothing. I called applecare, they were amazing, walked me through it and sent an overnight box. I had it to them that next day, and they repaired it within hours (I could see their progress online). They shipped out the same night and I received it back in hand, repaired, with a total turnaround of 4 days. VERY IMPRESSIVE I could not imagine better service.

My question is based on what was replaced. Basically they replaced the
    1) Logic Board due to video issues
    2) Top Case including trackpad
    3) 1 2GB RAM chip (faulty)

Since I got the system back and restored all my data, I noticed that the machine is much faster. I am wondering if this version of the logic board has been altered or improved in some way. I am also wondering whether this version of the video card is still subject to the failure rates, or whether this has been resolved. I am also interested in finding out whether they changed anything else in there, such as SMC version, boot ROM version, etc. I wish I had taken a full snapshot of my system profiler before sending it in, but with the screen knocked out (and external unable to work either) it was a challenge!
    That said, if anyone could compare the stats below with their non-repaired original 4,1 that would be really interesting.
    Finally, can you explain to me what exactly the logic board is? When I build PCs I use motherboards, and video cards, but I have never heard of a logic board that includes video before. Thanks in advance. I'm putting stars in front of those stats I'd love to compare with a non-repaired model.

REPAIRED STATS:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    **Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
    **SMC Version (system): 1.27f2

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0407
    **Revision ID: 0x00a1
    **ROM Revision: 3212

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Logic board is basically the motherboard. As for the GPU, it can still fail. There isn't a new chip that cures the problem so unfortunately you may have to repair it again. But lucky for you after 3 repairs of the same problem, Apple will most likely replace it with a new machine.

3. brom thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks iloggenius for your fast reply.
    The Applecare rep. told me that the versions of the 8600GT used in repairing faulty models were manufactured properly this time, and that I should not have a repeat of the failure. He mentioned that there was only a small batch of 8600GTs that were affected, and that the rest were properly manufactured.
    I get the feeling from your post that this may not be correct, and that he was perhaps told this in error. Thanks for helping to clear this up.

I was not aware of the 3-time repair attempt=free computer. Although I would very much prefer not to have to send my computer in 2 more times, it is good to know that there is a statute of limitations on the # of repairs.

Is there any explanation for the increased speed? I restored a superduper backup so the contents of the drive are the same. The improved speed difference is noticeable however. Do the system and video ROM, and SMC versions affect revisions to firmware and potentially optimize the machine?
    thanks in advance-
    brom

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's what many originally thought was the case. If you read the long thread about failing 8600M GT's, some were saying that the failing GPU's were replaced by the same ones and that there wasn't error-free chips being used in the repairs.

The 3 repair isn't a rule. It's what Apple generally does. Apple doesn't have a lemon policy but if you do have the same issue repaired 3 times, Apple will do it out of customer satisfaction.

As for the speed increase, as far as I know, there were no improvements made to the board and could be a result of many other things which are too hard to determine through a forum.

5. harodude macrumors regular

I went through a similar experience, with excellent service much like the OP's.

I received my 17" 2.6 HR and immediately notced graphics issues...
    Went through a similar repair experience, but still problems persisted. After the repair was complete, the repaired graphics card distorted heavily and DVI output did not function...

They ended up going through with an exchange.
    The 8600M GT is forever prone to failure unfortunately.