Good article on PCWorld about IP4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Martyimac, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...the_iphone_4_three_reasons_to_turn_it_in.html

They pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least as far as I am concerned, especially reason #2 to turn it in. The proximity sensor. That is my main reason for turning mine in and since it looks like it will be more than 30 days after I bought mine before they get it fixed, I'm glad I did.
    Apple, fix that proximity sensor issue and I may just pay the ETF with Verizon to come back to you.
    Anybody else think the proximity sensor issue is bigger than antennagate?

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Software update is coming to fix the proximity sensor, Steve said so himself. Few weeks, tops.

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Not only that, but it barely ever happens to me.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

And; how can a software problem be worst than an actual hardware problem? One can be patched, while the other has to be physically patched.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that estimate is perhaps a bit overly ambitious. Steve said they were aware of the problem and were tracking it. I took that is they're still in the investigative mode, and have not even formulated a solution yet, never mind pushing out a fix for it.

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Maybe. But I can't see them waiting 30+ days before releasing a fix for it.

7. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Heh, PC World saw CR being shoved into the limelight and decided that they needed a taste of that readership action. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like both publications, but I can imagine a lot of editors are getting emails from their publishers that read something like ... "why aren't we out there on this issue?! It's hot, it's of interest to part of our core readership! Get in there boy! Mix it up!"

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You're joking, right? I wouldn't expect a fix any time in the immediate future.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not, that will be par for the course for them. Apple has a long history of taking their time to resolve problems. Heck, how many updates has iOS historically ever received in the first place. If memory serves me, its usually one or two minor updates .0x with one .x update per year.

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

there you go

Attached Files:

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's a hard decision. The build quality (excluding the antenna) is unsurpassed on the iPhone 4. The screen is fantastic, facetime is cool, and it syncs perfectly with my mac. I still have the unlimited plan and a handy little flashlight app I bought yesterday which brings even more functionality. However, I have the antenna issue and ever since Apple released the signal bar "fix" I now realize just how subpar my AT&T service has been all along. I continue to drop calls even with a case and sometimes can't even initiate them on the first, second, or third try.

The EVO on the other hand also has unlimited data which will soon be 4G, and the plan is actually less expensive. Although I've got a lot invested in the iOS platform its not a total loss as I have an iPad that can run most of those apps. Froyo is coming and with it Flash support which may or may not be a big deal--but still nice to have the option. Lots of customization, and little things like dynamic wallpapers are very cool. On the other hand, getting my music and movies onto that thing will be a pain and its kinda huge which means I may end up using a separate iPod for the gym. Ugh.

12. ginsengbomb macrumors member

Wow. So you think there have been 9 updates in the past 3 years, and the reality is 25 updates in the past 3 years. Interesting the way bias works to color one's perception.