Good Article Regarding the Limits of iOS4 Multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jun 14, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

3. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you mean. According to developers (including the developer of Twitterific) who have used iOS4 for testing purposes for a few months, there is no API to allow these tasks to work.

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I think that some of this (with regard to the three things) is known. I knew about the developers having to include it in their apps. This only makes sense because Apple does not make them and does not have the right (or time) to go through them to include this.

It is a phone. If you want something more, get a computer! :)

5. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

Don't you think that having an app constantly updating your feeds and twitter would drain your battery quickly?

6. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The excuse is true multitasking kills the battery, which isn't true at all. It can kill the battery, but if you are using applications that are developed correctly it really doesn't do harm. The battery life on my Android phones have been comparable to my 3GS and it has true multitasking including chat programs and things like twitter.

Until the iPhone lets me run a chat program in the background and not have to rely on the unreliable push messages count me out.

7. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

As I recall, Steve said you can upload, say pictures to flickr, then switch apps, and it will still continue to upload in the background. But we will see what happens once devs update their apps and 4.0 goes public. There's always hope for expansion in iOS 4.1.

8. burnside macrumors 6502

I would love it too if my RSS app would automatically show an updated unread count.

Anyone know why a texting app like TextNow can update how many texts are unread automatically, but an RSS app can't show how many articles are unread?

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That would be the "task completion" part of the API, one of the several ways they demonstrated being able to multitask.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Which is exactly why they made push notification. Why do you think cell phones with multitasking deplete their battery so fast?

11. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha fair enough but updating RSS feeds and Twitter Messages are not really intensive tasks and would allow me to read on the subway (where there is no phone service)!! The way it works now, I need to remember to download all my feeds before I get on or I have nothing to read :(

Also, this shouldn't hurt battery life too much. It's basically the same as getting email pushed to your phone!

12. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

Indeed, not to mention using up precious not-so-unlimited data plans.

13. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

This.

And this.

14. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

This is all you can really do from what i see.

Background Audio - ie play Pandora

Voice Over IP - Allow incoming skype etc while not in the app.

Background Location - apps aware of your location etc. BUT what the app can actually do with this who knows. I mean can you have the app give you a "get the milk" reminder when it knows you are at Rite Aid? I honestly doubt it, unless it's sending your location to the cloud and some server is pushing that info.

Push/Local Notifictions - Apps can push locally, BUT what exactly it can push who knows, timers? alerts? who knows seems kinda vague.

Task Completion - finish a task after you close the app, ie file reciving, what else is possible who knows

Fast App Switching - halt and allow you to go back to the app where you left off.

15. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

16. masterlimp macrumors member

Wrong - they don't. Android phones have no problem with it.

In fact, neither does my 3GS. After jailbreaking and multitasking extensively, my battery life is within 15 -30 minutes without jail breaking.

I just destroyed your argument. Try again.

17. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

yup. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple of weeks. I haven't really seen any meaningful differance in battery life when I multitask on my 3gs. I was worried about keeping stuff backgrounded because I thought it would drain the battery very quickly like people had said, but I have found that's not the case at all.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats a very scientific and well laid out argument u have there. :rolleyes: