Good ATV/Quad/4Wheeler?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gan6660, Jun 8, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

HI, Im looking into buying a ATV/Quad/4Wheeler for the coming summer since all my friends have one and we want to go trail riding. Im not sure on what a good one would be. I would be looking at a used one since I want to get it fairly soon. So what would be a good quad that would suit a 200 pound 6foot male? Im looking for one that would be comfortable and it doesnt have to have lots of power. Thanks!

2. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

I have three Honda quads. They have been super great, no problems, easy/cheap maintenance. They've been tossed, rolled, slammed, etc and they still start up and go. The two 250cc we have, have gears but no clutch which makes it easy to ride. One is a ranch quad, probably a little underpowered for you. The other is an EX, it's fun. Decent power but not too much. The third one is a 450cc, clutch, fast, loud, scary, etc. I stick to the 250ex. Lol. It's a 2000 model year and still runs great. I'm sure you could find one used for a reasonable price. Hope this helps.

3. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I have a honda 450r that I race motocross on and a yamaha blaster 200 that I raced motocross on for the last 2 year.

I would really suggest the 450r it is an awesome quad!

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I don't know that brand matters so much. Yamaha and Honda are easy choices without any regrets, Suzuki and Polaris, just as easy. As for CC, a guy your size, I would suggest 350 4 stroke or higher, they are powerful and easy to maintain.

The real question is how will you use it? I know you mention trail riding but trails vary. My personal experience is that I rode quads when I was a kid and when I was 20 I wanted to get back into it. Being a hunter and no friends who had quads, I decided on a 4 wheel drive work horse type model thinking I could use it to hunt with.

A couple months later, I met some new people and they rode 2 wheel drive "sport" type quads. I loved the pace and style of riding so traded the 4x4 for a warrior and never looked back. Sure it was not meant to hunt but the fun factor was well worth it.

I paid for switching to something different, realize your style so you do not make the same mistake I did.

5. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

please stay well away from polaris. they are HORRIBLE.
    we have one and have had the frame replace 2 times because it broke in 4 spots both times JUNK

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I don't want to turn this thread into a Polaris bashing thread but remembering back, the polaris guys did always seem to have issues. Polaris had the higher CC's and newer features but they also seemed to break alot.

Take this with a grain of salt though. Today I own a Victory which is made by Polaris. Quality on the Victory is second to none IMO and they are not cheap either, on average cost $3-5k more than the comparable HD.....and yes, I am a former HD owner for anyone who wants to bash me for mentioning HD.

troutspinner