Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Hi everyone,

I posted this in another thread, but the OP's question was already answered. I though it best to ask my own question.

I am looking for a good backpack/laptop/camera bag. here are my uses/equipment

Equip:
d40X with 18-135 lens
either a macbook or a macbook air (to be purchased after WWDC)
ipod
sony noise canceling headphones
chargers, cords, accessories

Here are my uses.
Typically hit China 2x a year. Don't take the camera on this so I can free up that room, for the paper files and trip books i take w/me (business, not pleasure)
germany 1x/year (again, no camera)

Wife and I usually take one good trip every other year. This fall heading to Austria and Italy. Will be taking the big camera, laptop, other items.

I am torn between these two items.

Booq Python (not sure if it will have enough room for the paper files and other books that I take to China) also concerned about room for things like a book, my headphones etc.

Booq Python pro with sleeve. This looks like it may suit my needs since it has more room. I would rather have more than less. My question on this one though is that Booq offers this as a "kit" that includes a sleeve, but online it only lists the 15" and 17" sleeve. Will they sell me the pro kit with the Vyper XS2 sleeve for the same price? I tried calling them tonight, but they were already closed. Will try again tomorrow.
I like the fact that you can access the camera bag thru the front of the bag. This would be very convenient rather than pulling everything out of the bag to reach the camera bag (my assumption on the python)

Thanks for any light you can shed on my dilemma here.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Ok tried calling Booq and no answer, just a voice mail. So I am still stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Again, I've found the LowePro Computrekker to work out extremely well for my needs - camera, lenses, accessories, laptop. It just fits my MacBook Pro, fits easily under an airline seat. Mine has been in a variety of difficult travel situations, very protective, easy to carry, very rugged. I rarely carry this many lenses while traveling, but I do load up a lot of other gear that I don't trust in checked baggage like iPods, GPS, walkie-talkies, etc.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuTrekker-AW,1924,16.htm

35514497.jpg

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Hmac, I like the set up, but I never would carry that much gear. Also, the set up looks small for carrying paper files, notes, etc that I normally have to carry with me. I currently use a wheeled targus bag for a 17" G4 that I have. On many of the smaller regional jets, I can't fit it in the overhead bins. Plus, it is a pain to get on and off the plane because of its size, especially when I have to handle an typical carry on (I typically do not check my bags when I travel overseas, all carry on, all the time).

I guess I am looking for something more universal that is more of a cross between a brief case and a back pack that allows for camera toting and storage.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Many of the Expedition series backpacks from Tamrac allow some extra space on the top for extras, although I don't know if I'd call it "file friendly" sizing (it's rather irregularly sized space). It might be worth looking into (if you haven't already).

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I have a Crumpler Karachi Outpost XL, but that might be overkill if you're not carrying multiple cameras and lenses. I would definitely suggest a Crumpler KO Medium though. They're very well made bags, have great features, and don't scream "I'm holding thousands of dollars in camera equipment"

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I have the Tamrac Expedition 7. It's relatively big - but on long trips, or even day trips where two camera bodies and multiple lenses are likely to be needed - it is fantastic. It sits well on the back, allowing for lengthy treks without any rubbing or soreness. And it has lots of pockets and tie downs for all manner of extras. It also seems to be adequately rain repellent - an important consideration if you're taking all that gear into places where you can;t hide form the weather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.