Good Backup Program? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by prmccarron, Aug 22, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

I just sold my iMac (described in sig) and need to backup my stuff to an external drive. What (free) program would allow me to backup my user name without having to manually drag everything over? Migration Assistant won't work as there will be a few days where I have no computer. Also I don't want to back up the OS itself; just my home folders (Pictures Music Movies etc.) and some applications.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your iMac to the external HDD and then delete the folders on the external HDD, that you don't need.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The two mentioned above are the best. They will copy the entire drive including the OS though. Whats wrong with just dragging over a copy of your home folder and applications folder? Its really not that hard.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

carbon copy cloner not only is able to copy the entire drive , its able to copy whatever you want it to copy , just choose what you want to back up and it does it , and best of all its free, while super duper can copy your entire drive , but is not really free if you want all other features ;)

and another quiet importent warning some apps need reinstalling if you just copy your apps folder and not the entire drive with OS , so have the install discs to hand to reinstall them if needed

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

When you're finished, don't forget to override the free diskspace with zeros -> Boot the System DVD, choose Disk Util from the top menu (Under Utilities), select your partitions and go to the Delete-tab and click Delete free space.

Besides CCC and SD, there is dd, which does exactly the same.
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/rdiskX of=/dev/rdiskY
    where X is your source drive and Y is your destination drive, it creates a 1:1 copy of the disk. You can figure out the drive numbers in the DiskUtil:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Actually I was going to make a new thread to ask how to do this. But unfortunately I don't have the original OS disks. Is there a way to do it without them and keep the OS?

7. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Wouldn't that take longer?

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I just figured out that it works from within Mac OS X, you don't have to boot off a CD/DVD.

For the dd-backup on the other hand, you have to.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No.