Good / Bad Apps to have on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrrippey, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

about to install my Intex X25 G2 and I want to be prudent on what apps I put on there. Are there apps I should avoid putting on an SSD? My data / documents / music / pictures will be on the HDD.

Mainly, Office (especially Entourage, the mailbox/file) and Parallels (the windows image) should those go on the HDD or the SSD?

2. bpokosh macrumors newbie

I just installed my Intel X25 G2 80 gig in my optical bay yesterday. I've got my stock 320gb drive in the regular hard drive bay, but I'm planning on upgrading that to Western Digital 1tb when they start shipping in the next couple weeks.

I've got all of my applications and documents on the SSD. I've got my iTunes and Aperture libraries on the hard drive just so I don't have to worry about space. So I've got all of my media on the hard drive, but documents, spreadsheets, PDFs, etc, are on the SSD.

I currently have my Parallels VMs on the hard drive, but I'm planning on moving my most often used VM over to the SSD. I'm only using 35GB on the SDD so I still have plenty of room to bring over a small VM.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd just use it as you would a normal hard drive and not worry about it. I just installed the 160 GB X25-M G2 into my MBP and plan to use it as the only hard drive. Then again I do have a desktop PC for music files etc.

4. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Did ether of you start clean with the SSD or did you restore from time machine?

5. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I used CCC to put the old Hard Disk image on my Vertex in March and never had an issue since then.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

Clean install, then copied my files over from the original HDD mounted into a USB case. I figured clean install would be the most problem-free.

7. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

When I eventually get an SSD in my mini i'm gonna have it so my apps n music-protools files are on there n nothin else lol :)

8. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

got my caddy so I will do a clean install on my Intel SSD (will be in optibay) and I will keep music, pics and files on the HHD, programs on SSD

Let you know how it works out. I am going to install snow leopard using an external dvd since I will have no superdrive (or maybe network install since I have a Mac Cube downstairs)

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

10. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

so do you have to format the SSD and partition?

I have a Intel G2 80GB SSD and I figured I have to format Mac OS extended journaled.

Thoughts before I run this thing?

Thanks

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Thoughts? Stop expecting so much fanfare. Just use the damn thing!