Good/Bad Time to Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jholl, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Jholl macrumors newbie

I just sold my 2010 MacBook Pro, and I'm looking to upgrade to a 13" MacBook Air. However, I know that there are rumors of upcoming product releases, including potential for a 12" MacBook Air with retina display, which I am not certain I would be interested in. My question for all of you is--do you think this would be a bad time to upgrade to the 13" MacBook Air? Do you anticipate any major changes coming in the near future?

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Get one now. Something new will always be around the corner.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

Wait or you'll be sorry... the current Air platform is getting long in the tooth, and the 12" should be out this fall.

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The totally unsubstantiated 12" Air.

5. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Get one now. The MBA seems to be a laptop that has great longevity.

And I really don't get what all the hoopla is about the Retina display for MBAs.

Great for iPads, iPhones, and the much thicker and more heavy and much much more expensive rMBP (especially if you're looking for something with discrete graphics), but this display is just fine on the 13" MBA.

6. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Absolutely not going to happen. Here's why:

- The series chips Apple currently uses in the MBA are still current and will remain current until at least end of Q1 2015. There's nothing to replace the current line with. MBP maybe.

- They're not going to introduce a complete redesign at this point. We'd have seen leaks of photos of casings and components, which we've seen absolutely nothing indicating a complete redesign.

- There's no reason to at this point. They're selling well according to Apple's most recent financials.

- The technology just isn't there. In order for Apple to follow their normal product progression, they need to either evolve in speed, design, and function. There's nothing to speed bump to, and the natural evolution will be retina screens. With current battery and processor combination, retina isn't possible without either doubling the thickness, or halving the battery life. So until the next-gen chips come out in 2015, which are lower voltage, no chance of seeing retina.

Hope that helps. I'm actually following the MBA lineup quite closely. My 2013 11" is just out of warranty now, so I think Im going to get a 2014 and config it custom.

Instead of just re-posting bad information without any facts to back it up, try to educate yourself on what goes into product line changes. EVERY spec bump and feature change has been supported by the progression of the underlying technology (SSD\processor\etc).

"you'll be sorry because the air platform is long in the tooth" is complete BS. People have been saying that about the Apple Thunderbolt Display for 5 years. Apple only acts on product refreshes when a) there's significant need for it and b) when the technology becomes mainstream. Retina technology on an air computer within the product line's price point and feature requirement is by no means mainstream yet.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I think that the best time to buy an MBA was about 2 months ago in June when Best Buy had them on sale with additional discounts for education (anyone with .edu email) and USPS moving discount.

Best Buy has since offered subsequent sales on MBAs, though not as good as the one back in June.

Having said that, if you are patient, then there is a good possibility that BB will have another sale... that would be the time to get one.

I have an 11" MBA (purchased in June) and absolutely love it. It's a terrific little workhorse (4GB RAM, 128GB storage supplemented by a 64GB Sandisk USB "nub"). My daughter bought a 13" MBA at the same time, and it's been a terrific device for her college work.

I have absolutely no reservations in recommending a 2014 MBA now. Even if Apple releases a 12" MBA w/retina tomorrow, these other models are still very fine machines.

8. dukee101 macrumors member

dukee101

You're so on-point shenan. Great analysis, I agree 100%. I think what escapes most people is that even though it's possible to have Retina in an MBA form-factor today, it can't be done at the MBA's current price-point.

History is instructive: when the first 13" rMBP debuted, it was very expensive (a poor value in fact, and the 15" were known for offering much more bang-for-the-buck). It was also underpowered and many complained of it's inability to drive that many pixels. The current rMBP has finally settled at a good price-point and adequate performance.

That took 2 years. Think about that. There is no doubt we'll have an rMBA eventually, but it will be in 2015 when Apple can do it in typical Apple fashion.

And believe me, if there's anyone that wants to see redesigned MBAs it's me! The bezel's too darn big (especially for the 11")!