Good Battery, terrible battery life???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amp895, Jul 16, 2009.

1. amp895 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" 2.4 GHZ white macbook that I bought in march of 2008. About 4 months ago I all of the sudden started having problems with battery life. It was very abrupt. I used to be able to take my macbook and sit through 3 classes or more with no trouble in regards to batter life. Then suddenly the battery would drain within a few hours. It has remained that way since.

I've spent the last month or so looking around forums and other places to try and find someone with a similar problem and possible solutions. As a result I've discovered that my situation seams to be somewhat unique.

Using cocoanut battery I tested my battery's capacity and it remains at a solid 98%. How can my battery still be at 98% capacity and have such a short battery life? I also seam to be losing charge while my macbook is closed. How and why does that happen? If I leave my macbook closed for a day or two it can lose up to 25% charge just sitting there!

I've tried loads of things including turning off unnecessary things such as sharing and bluetooth and calibrating my battery, all with no avail.

What is going on?? My battery is too old to be eligable for a recal and I'm not paying $30 just to have a phone conversation with a "Genius". If anyone has any idea what's going on and any possible advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you changed your using habits? Is something running in the background that is taking up a lot of CPU? Open Activity Monitor and select "All Processes" to find out.

3. amp895 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I mean I'm definitely not doing anything extraneous. No games etc. and my activity monitor shows no background stuff taking up any cpu. I mean not even anything small. It's all 0.0

4. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

try reseting the smc and if your wondering why it uses electricity when close it because everything you have save is in the ram and the ram has to stay charged there are some hacks on how to change it to where your macbook uses no electricity found here if all this doesnt work you may need a new battery:rolleyes: