Good book for learning CSS?

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
I've just started to get into web design. Apparently tables are a no no anymore, so I thought I should learn CSS. I am going to do the tuts on w3schools.com, but was wondering if there was a good book for learning it. (I dont have internet access all the time).

Also, I have a basic idea of html, should i bother learning more of it if I am going to be working with CSS? And if so, which one should I start with.

Thanks!!!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
How about the CSS2 standard from w3.org...? (Now, where did I put that link...?)

Edit: W3C has some recommendations... but i prefer to go directly to the specification, you can either download it in pdf (and more) or just browse the site...

Good luck, just remember that IE (which, unfortunately still has ~90% of the market) has generally poor support for CSS, so get someone with XP and IE6 to check out your pages every once in a while...

Comment

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Spizzo said:
I've just started to get into web design. Apparently tables are a no no anymore, so I thought I should learn CSS. I am going to do the tuts on w3schools.com, but was wondering if there was a good book for learning it. (I dont have internet access all the time).

Also, I have a basic idea of html, should i bother learning more of it if I am going to be working with CSS? And if so, which one should I start with.

Thanks!!!
One name:
Look for Eric Meyer
i like the "on css" series a lot, great reads, lots of knowledge.

Cheers

Comment

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
Books are good, playing around is good too.

While you're at it, get TacoEdit. It's a free HTML editor with a built-in previewer so you can change your CSS and see the changes immediately.

Good luck, Margaret

Comment

robfenn

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
Kent, UK
Well done for starting the thread. I wouldn't mind a book either.

I wouldn't say tables suck that bad, not as long as IE prefers them anyway. To have an accessible website it basically has to be in CSS though. How ironic that is the case when IE, the most popular browser by far, doesn't support it well :rolleyes:

-Rob

Comment

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
robfenn said:
Well done for starting the thread. I wouldn't mind a book either.

I wouldn't say tables suck that bad, not as long as IE prefers them anyway. To have an accessible website it basically has to be in CSS though. How ironic that is the case when IE, the most popular browser by far, doesn't support it well :rolleyes:

-Rob
My Web site below has zero tables on the index page, all layed out in CSS 2.0.

Comment

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
im taking advanced web design class at school. The book we use which i find to be very helpful after learning html basics is called DHTML and CSS for the world wide web. Third Edition by Jason Cranford Teague

Comment

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
im taking advanced web design class at school. The book we use which i find to be very helpful after learning html basics is called DHTML and CSS for the world wide web. Third Edition by Jason Cranford Teague

Comment

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.