Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sixtyin3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Not new to programming, but I have been out of the loop for a few years. Any good books for getting into Cocoa\iPhone programming as I don't always have my laptop in front of me? I'm looking for an intro to everything book now more so then a reference book.

Steve

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Not new to programming, but I have been out of the loop for a few years. Any good books for getting into Cocoa\iPhone programming as I don't always have my laptop in front of me? I'm looking for an intro to everything book now more so then a reference book.

Steve

I have the eBook version but haven't read it, but everyone raves about Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegrass... Just about all the concepts apply (or can be easily modified to apply) to the iPhone as well.

slycrel

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I have read both the hilegass book and this book. The hillegass book mentioned above is the best I've seen on the topic with the possible exception of Apple's PDF that is free. Between the two that's the majority of what you need to get well underway. Apple's PDF goes more in depth about the syntax and mechanics, aaron's book gives you the experience you need to understand the rest of what you'd normally not understand as you read through a textbook.

Good luck!

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Get the book by Aaron, 3rd edition just came out and it's up to date and a great read. It's for Mac OSX but most of it can be re-used on the iPhone.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'll second slycrel and recommend Programming in Objective-C for anyone new to the Mac. Advanced C programmers might be irritated that it doesn't contain anything advanced, but it's meant as an introduction, not a sourcebook.

Follow this up with Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X 3rd Edition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.