Good books (especially series)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, May 5, 2010.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So, I just finished catching up on the Wheel of Time series, and need something to occupy my time on the train in the mornings and evenings. In the last few months, I've read Herry Turtledove's timeline 191 series (it was ok) and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (excellent once the soap opera-ness calmed down). I get through roughly 110 pages a day (60 if I'm tired, 160 if I'm not), so length of book or series isn't a problem since I'd have 6 weeks to read it (up to 4800pp per book) before returning it.

I was hoping that the folks here could help me find something to read until Netflix pushes out its app to the iPhone. A series is usually better than a single volume, as it gives me something long term to read.

PS - I love my county's commitment to libraries.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Andrea Norton: Time Trader series?
    Anne McCaffrey: Dragonriders of Pern?

Dale

3. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

What kind of books are you looking for in terms of "series"?

Because I think the Shelby Foote Civil War series is brilliant. Very dense reading, keep you occupied for a bit.

4. gonyr macrumors 6502

Judging from what you've recently read, a scifi/fantasy person, so:

Orson Scott Card - the Ender series, followed by its companion Shadow series
    Timothy Zahn - Conquerors trilogy
    anything by Larry Niven

most of all, the original Dune series by Frank Herbert

5. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

It doesn't really matter. I just want to find something to keep myself occupied while I wait for the next WoT book to be released/available at the library.

I'll read fiction or nonfiction. The advantage to a series (i.e. several books involving a unifying theme/cast of characters/universe) is that it should keep me occupied for a while. I could read a lot of single books as well, but then I have to continually evaluate and refine. A series lets me put off the inevitable a little longer.

Turtledove wore me out on the Civil War works, but a nonfiction series would be good.

Besides, it doesn't hurt to live 30 min from Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harper's Ferry. Knowing the geography makes history all the more vibrant.

I hadn't thought about that. Ender's Game was the book that taught me that books can wear out even when the binding holds up fine. For some reason I never got past the first book of each series.

Between Civil War and the Ender series, I should be good for the rest of the spring!

Now to find some summer reading.

6. Padraic macrumors regular

I second the suggestion for the Ender series. You might also look at The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

7. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

If you haven't read these then I highly recommend them:

Neil Gaiman - The Sandman

Michael Moorcock - The Eternal Champion

Both are a series (Sandman finite, Eternal Champion crosses over a ton into other books with Moorcock's "multiverse" theme.)

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you like Historical Fiction there is a good series on what would have happened if Japan had done things a little different at Pearl Harbor. It is by William Forstechen and Newt Gingrich. It starts off with Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Repairman Jack. Will be 15 novels when done (13 available so far). Plus, there's 3 Young Adult books (2, so far) and then The Adversary Cycle (6 books).

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

George R. R. Martin's Ice and Fire series or Herbert's Dune series are excellent choices. There's also Stephen King's Dark Tower series, Simmons' Hyperion series, etc.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I'm currently reading the Vince Flynn series, and I can't put them down.

Term Limits (1997)
    Transfer of Power (1999)
    The Third Option (2000)
    Separation of Power (2001)
    Executive Power (2002)
    Memorial Day (2004)
    Consent to Kill (2005)
    Act of Treason (2006)
    Protect and Defend (2007)
    Extreme Measures (2008)
    Pursuit of Honor (2009)

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If you're looking for long term, you might want to check out the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. I really enjoyed it (especially the nerdy part of me). It'll take you some time, though - it's both physically long and dense.

Or perhaps I'm the dense one, but regardless, it's a great read.

13. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Although they aren't a series, I HIGHLY recommend the two novels written by Jonathan Safran Foer. They are Everything Is Illuminated, and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (my favourite one).

I would read Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close first. Don't get thrown off by the odd typography and initially odd main character. It really grows into something amazing.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Do you want the OP to shoot himself? :) I just couldn't get through that. After 100 pages I had enough.

I'd say no to Goodkind.

The OP sounds like he likes the same books as me (BTW, the last book of WoT was supposed to come out after he died, written from notes he had...has it?).

Tad Williams, Otherland series ...the best series I have ever read.
    Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series....like WoT.
    K. J. Parker, Engineer Trilogy
    All the Foundation books by Asimov

15. Mernak macrumors 6502

Seconded, the one authorized by his estate (written by Brin, Bear, Benford) were okay, but not as good as Asimov's. Also, most of his other books are very good too, the Robot City series is kinda hard to find though.

Also Timothy Zahn is also an amazing author, I am guessing that you would like him.

16. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

If you liked that you seriously must read Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. I'm reading the Wheel of Time right now (for the second time, but the first was almost a decade ago), and it's good, but Memory Sorry and Thorn is amazing (I think) I've read it probably 5 times now.

Also, I read the Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon a little while ago (same genre) and it was fun as well.

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Awesome books!

I think that some author came out with some books about vampires and werewolves and such recently. I also think they are a series...

OR you could try out Kurt Vonnegut if you have not yet. Excellent blend of Sci-Fi, comedy, and some deeper issues.

-Breakfast of Champions
    -Galapagos

are my favorites.

18. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Agreed on the Goodkind thing... They're fun but just go on and on- as do the wheel of time books, but in a less enjoyable way. The last Wheel of Time "book" is being written by Brandon Sanderson from the notes that Robert Jordan left behind, but there's so much it's coming out as three books. The first was released last fall, and the last won't be coming out till late 2011.

Glad to see someone else recommending Tad Williams. Otherland was also amazing, and I'm really looking forward to reading the Shadowmarch series. I've got one of the books sitting on my shelf right now.

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It's a lot like having your first beer. At first you don't understand how anyone can drink the stuff, but you power through anyway. Fast forward to a few years later, and you're drinking way more than what's reasonable. :p

20. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

WoT was excellent. I too am waiting for the last book. Isecond the "don't bother with" terry Goodkind. I read them all and was BORED!! but I had to finish them.

For an amazing read try Peter F. Hamilton. Very interesting Scifi concepts. I couldn't put any of them down. For fun the Harry Dresden novels are a hoot. I just finished # 10, the most recent. They have everything I want in a read.

21. achie25 macrumors 6502

+1

Also

Brad Thor (Scott Harvath series)
    Daniel Silva (Gabriel Allon series)

These are all CIA/Secret Service type novels. Very good and entertaining.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Terry Pratchett's Disc World series.

There's one book that I've read dozens of times and found it enjoyable each time: The Wasp by Erik Frank Russell. It'd be one of the books I'd choose if I was strained on a dessert island.;)