Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeppelin68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I wanted to get a little more advanced with photography. I know how to use some tools in photoshop but I'm still not clear on all the aspects of the camera. I have a canon powershot s5is, which is kind of in the middle of a basic point and shoot and a dslr. I have acess to a D40 though, so I could learn on that as well. Can anyone recommend some good books on technique (aperture, shutter speed etc, ISO, HDR, etc.) Thanks guys

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is pretty much universally recommended.

That will teach the "easy" part, the machanics. You have to know this stuff backwards and forwards.

The other books to get are big coffee table photo books of famous photographers or maybe even painters. Find a style or two you like. Then make yourself an asignment to go out and emulate the work of the one or two photographers you picked out. Shoot 100 exposures, put thenthrough your workflow pick the best one or two and trash the others. figure out how to do better then go do another 100 exposures. If ti can pull off one cycle a week you are doing very well and will advance quickly.

There should be no ethical or artistic problem with copying a known "master". This is a centuries old method of training new artists.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson.

The technicalities of photography are the easy part, the hard part is knowing what to shoot and what makes a photo look good in an artistic fashion.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
The Camera, The Negative, and The Print by Ansel Adams. These are absolutely timeless because they provide the understanding of the theory of how to take light and make an image. I would be willing to bet everyone who has written a camera book in the last 50 years read these books before they ever thought about theirs. So why not take the words of the master himself.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
all good books.

You can also check out kenrockwell.com - he has some fantastic articles for beginners and the experienced alike.

His how-to section is full of great info and advice for beginners :)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Your manual that shipped with your DSLR is the best book for learning cameragraphy (all technical stuff like ISO, EV, etc) and I'm not joking.... have you ever gone through it page by page.. word by word.. if not I recommend you do so!

For composition and art... I suggest DPS (digital-photography-school.com) and browse through Flickr... inspire yourself, read the meta.. learn the techniques!

Also... kenrockwell is a good site but for inspiration you should probably look elsewhere!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Your manual that shipped with your DSLR is the best book for learning cameragraphy (all technical stuff like ISO, EV, etc) and I'm not joking.... have you ever gone through it page by page.. word by word.. if not I recommend you do so!

For composition and art... I suggest DPS (digital-photography-school.com) and browse through Flickr... inspire yourself, read the meta.. learn the techniques!

Also... kenrockwell is a good site but for inspiration you should probably look elsewhere!

Thats exactly what i did, alot to learn at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.