Good Books/Maps on Appalachian Trail (Advise also)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Feb 10, 2009.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i've been hiking for a good 10 years now, and while i was always part of groups, scouts, camp etc.., i'm going at it myself now. I'm looking into hiking the Appalachian Trail particularly in the New England area. I'm looking for some good quality and informative maps as well as guide books. I really would like to know where the shelters are (both the paid and free trailside ones) as well as distances and information regarding where to park your cars and such.

Also, for anyone who hikes a lot, suggestions about sites and good places to explore. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

It's not going to help you really, but if you haven't already read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" you really should; its a brilliantly funny story of Bill's attempt at the Trail.

3. pooky macrumors 6502

The only book I've ever read about the AT is also the first one you should read - it's called "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It's probably more effective as an attitude adjustment than as an actual planning guide.

That's a beautiful area, have fun.

edit...blast beaten to it...

4. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, yeah, i've read it. It was a great book. I'm looking more for technical info, rather than about how to deal with my friend Katz (think it was his name) throwing stuff out of his pack because he was pissed off.