Good Bootcamp XP Parition Size?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Y2JDMBFAN, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Guys,

Anyone have any recommendations for a good Bootcamp WinXP partition size for my 1.86/128SSD MBA? I was thinking around 20GB should be sufficient, I will spend most of the time in OSX. Also, should I format in FAT32 or NTFS?

Thanks,

Y2J

2. rittchard macrumors 6502

What are you intending to do in XP?

If you want to access files back and forth between both OS, I believe you have to do FAT32, and the max size is 32GB.

If you intend to do any kind of harder core PC gaming, I would recommend more than 20GB. XP sucks up a big chunk of space and today's games use up so much space that 20 doesn't leave much room for anything. I did 20GB on my Rev A and used it up immediately.

I ended up this go around with a 45GB NTFS partition, but I have some large PC games installed.

3. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

If you partition lager than 32GB, install MacDrive 7 on XP or Vista to move files from each partition.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yes, you have to stay < 32GB to use FAT32, so I'd recommend a 30GB partition. If you're primarily using OS X, you probably won't need one any larger than that anyway, and you won't need to buy MacDrive in that case either.

5. twist2b macrumors regular

Perfect quote...
    Anyways, NTSC is really better then FAT IMO. Though, it really depends on what you are doing.

If your a gamer, go NTSC.
    edit - also make sure when you install XP that you make the partition format "quick" that way it ONLY formats the areas it NEEDS. The extra space will be left unallocated and can be stolen back to the mac if needed. (defrag is your friend)

6. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

NTSC - I think you mean NTFS! ;)

Alec