Good but Stupid function in iTunes 7

KKKL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Amoy
iTunes 7 has a Album Artist tag for songs. And that's quite good.
But why don't it organize files by Album Artist instead of Artist. That's stupid!!:(

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
KKKL said:
iTunes 7 has a Album Artist tag for songs. And that's quite good.
But why don't it organize files by Album Artist instead of Artist. That's stupid!!:(
It does for me. Have you displayed the Album Artist column (it's separate from the Artist column & tag).

Seems like the tag must have already been embedded 'cause I had some iTMS files that were automagically grouped under the allbum artist though before they were in separate folders...

B

KKKL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Amoy
balamw said:
It does for me. Have you displayed the Album Artist column (it's separate from the Artist column & tag).

Seems like the tag must have already been embedded 'cause I had some iTMS files that were automagically grouped under the allbum artist though before they were in separate folders...

B
But iTunes organize files on hard disk by putting them into Artist folders, not Album Artist.

KKKL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Amoy
BurtonCCC said:
Can somebody clarify for me exactly what Album Artist is for? I don't understand what the difference is from regular Artist. :confused:

Daniel.
For example, Hips Don't Lie is sung by Shakira & Wyclef Jean. So, the Artist is Shakira & Wyclef Jean.
And it appear in Shakira's album Oral Fixation, Vol. 2. So the Album Artist should be Shakira.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
KKKL said:
For example, Hips Don't Lie is sung by Shakira & Wyclef Jean. So, the Artist is Shakira & Wyclef Jean.
And it appear in Shakira's album Oral Fixation, Vol. 2. So the Album Artist should be Shakira.
Oh my gosh, finally they did something about that! :D

Daniel.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
KKKL said:
But iTunes organize files on hard disk by putting them into Artist folders, not Album Artist.
Yeah, but who cares about the file structure? Nobody uses it to manage their music - that's what iTunes is for and it organises itself just fine.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
balamw said:
I think the issue is that in the Browse views, (or whatever the two that don't have the big huge album coverflows tack, the upper middle column is Artist and that cannot be changed, or can it?