Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Good buy, or mistake?

• Good buy

• Send it back

Results are only viewable after voting.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I needed to up to 4 cores for business so I've been on the lookout for a a refurb or used, for a few months now. This is the best deal I've ever come across.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131643187635?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now, it is supposed to be in perfect condition and 3 charging cycles indicates that it was almost never used. So that is fantastic. However, I had assumed it was still in warranty, seeing as though it MUST be only a month, or so, old. Come to find out, it is out of warranty. Needless to say, I am starting to feel a little insecure about this purchase. There are some refurbs on Apple but at 2.5ghz and 512gb storage, for 2400 after taxes. I'm not really dead set on the processor speed, but the TB is a necessity. Also, I prefer the mechanical trackpad, as I am faster working on it, when I need to be mobile. I'm not very fond of the new one, so a 2014 was also a necessity to me.

Without any major debates, or strong opinionated "needs vs wants" discussions, would you call this a good buy, or a mistake, and why? Thanks.

Oh, and there is a 3 month warranty with the seller.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I say keep it, you got a nice laptop, your mistake was you assumed it had a warranty without asking the OP. A brand new one will run you 3199 for the same configuration before taxes.

Put it through its paces and if its everything the seller promised keep it.

you said it yourself you need a 1TB drive and there's no other refurbs with that configuration.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Thank you for the response maflynn. I usually don't fish for someone to help validate a decision I've made, but I became so back and forth on this, in my head, and I hate that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No worries - just enjoy it :D

btw, I'm doing something similar for a keyboard I just bought, i.e., should I have spent the money or held off for a better deal

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
No warranty would be a deal breaker for me. I just can't pay $2000 for a computer with an expired warranty.
Did you check the serial number with Apple? It's very rare to see a maxed out 15" without the extended applecare warranty.

Enter the serial number and let us know https://checkcoverage.apple.com

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
No warranty would be a deal breaker for me. I just can't pay $2000 for a computer with an expired warranty.
Did you check the serial number with Apple? It's very rare to see a maxed out 15" without the extended applecare warranty.

Enter the serial number and let us know https://checkcoverage.apple.com

Cool, didn't know you can do this. Unfortunately it says I'm poop out of luck. Shucks... It's usually a deal breaker for me, as well, but at only 3 cycles and specked out for 2 grand, I just HAD TO DO IT. The only thing I'm really worried about is the screen getting stuck pixels. If that happens, hopefully the anti glare coat will wear too, so I can replace it under the new program for the worn coating. I don't suspect anything else will go to poop, I HOPE.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Macs come with a 1 year warranty. After that, you're on your own or you have to buck up for Apple Care. My 2010 MBP has lasted me, and is still lasting me. I use it every.single.day, for work.

I did spill water all over it a few years back, and had the logic board replaced. Only a fraction of the cost of a new one. I replaced the battery on my own, upgraded to SSD, and more RAM. Worst case is a new Logic Board. Or a part here or there.

Getting the device with the specs you wanted is more important than some silly warranty, with an expiration date. Sure you'd expect it to have one, but it doesn't. It's still a deal. Take care of it. Maybe get an invisible protector for the outside - like a Bodyguardz, and be happy with it. Parts are easy to replace. There may be some aftermarket warranties out there but look into all of the details and do your research.

Don't regret it one bit!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Don't worry about the warranty. As long as the computer hasn't been run over by a truck or something, Apple usually offers a very reasonably priced flat-rate repair where they will fix anything wrong it with. Though they don't publish online how much this costs, in the past for me it has cost about as much AppleCare would have cost anyway. If something were to go wrong, this would be the way to go.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Macs come with a 1 year warranty. After that, you're on your own or you have to buck up for Apple Care. My 2010 MBP has lasted me, and is still lasting me. I use it every.single.day, for work.

I did spill water all over it a few years back, and had the logic board replaced. Only a fraction of the cost of a new one. I replaced the battery on my own, upgraded to SSD, and more RAM. Worst case is a new Logic Board. Or a part here or there.

Getting the device with the specs you wanted is more important than some silly warranty, with an expiration date. Sure you'd expect it to have one, but it doesn't. It's still a deal. Take care of it. Maybe get an invisible protector for the outside - like a Bodyguardz, and be happy with it. Parts are easy to replace. There may be some aftermarket warranties out there but look into all of the details and do your research.

Don't regret it one bit!

Thanks Hank.

My 2010 is still going strong too. I use it every day as well. I also upgraded everything. I already ordered a hard case for it and a complete skin for the inside palm rest/keyboard spaces/ and all.

I spoke with the seller and he said it literally has no scuffs, scratches or marks of any kind. Battery is in good condition, but if it only has 3 cycles, perhaps it was on the charger the whole time, which is bad for the battery. Otherwise, the previous owner must have never used it. Box and all accessories are mint. I'm pretty optimistic and this won't be my first used Mac. It IS for business though, so any problem would be very unfortunate. I have 3 month warranty with the seller, so that should be enough time to give it some hefty testing.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Don't worry about the warranty. As long as the computer hasn't been run over by a truck or something, Apple usually offers a very reasonably priced flat-rate repair where they will fix anything wrong it with. Though they don't publish online how much this costs, in the past for me it has cost about as much AppleCare would have cost anyway. If something were to go wrong, this would be the way to go.

Wow, wasn't aware of a flat rate cost. I've only had to use Applecare once, so that makes a lot of sense. Definitely eases the mind a bit.

I do feel good about it though. Spent 3000 on the 13" specked out and bought AppleCare. That one is going to go to my wife for her photography. But to get this one for a thousand less, in the same condition (pretty much new) with a low cycle count, twice the cores and gpu, is phenomenal. Especially for it having 1tb drive.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks Hank.

My 2010 is still going strong too. I use it every day as well. I also upgraded everything. I already ordered a hard case for it and a complete skin for the inside palm rest/keyboard spaces/ and all.

I spoke with the seller and he said it literally has no scuffs, scratches or marks of any kind. Battery is in good condition, but if it only has 3 cycles, perhaps it was on the charger the whole time, which is bad for the battery. Otherwise, the previous owner must have never used it. Box and all accessories are mint. I'm pretty optimistic and this won't be my first used Mac. It IS for business though, so any problem would be very unfortunate. I have 3 month warranty with the seller, so that should be enough time to give it some hefty testing.

I'm sure you know, to get an external SSD to use TimeMachine. Or even a time capsule as you won't have to connect it physically. Just have it backup maybe once a week or month. Pending any catastrophe you'll be set. Time machine is worth more than a warranty IMO.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I'm sure you know, to get an external SSD to use TimeMachine. Or even a time capsule as you won't have to connect it physically. Just have it backup maybe once a week or month. Pending any catastrophe you'll be set. Time machine is worth more than a warranty IMO.

I agree. A few years ago, I lost 10 years of music compositions because I was too lazy to back up the drive. Never again. I will configure my 15 from a time machine backup of the 13, and then make 2 backups of the backup.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
If you have a battery replaced, it will reset the cycles to 0. I had to replace a battery in a 2012 MBA, and after the battery was replaced by Apple my charging cycles were reset. That could explain why this one only had a few cycles yet was a 2014.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
If you have a battery replaced, it will reset the cycles to 0. I had to replace a battery in a 2012 MBA, and after the battery was replaced by Apple my charging cycles were reset. That could explain why this one only had a few cycles yet was a 2014.

Ohhhhhh. Well that would be a good thing I hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.