Good buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fencerspinley, Aug 18, 2014.

1. fencerspinley macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am just about to purchase my first Mac but don't have enough money to buy new. I was looking on craigslist and found what seems like a pretty good deal but was wondering if this is a good buy or if i should just move on. I plan I running a few diagnostic tests when i check it out and also make sure the serial number on the case matches the one in the mac. I'm also going to bring a flash drive with coconut battery to test the battery and all usb ports. Maybe a cd also to test the disk drive. is there anything I'm forgetting? The physical condition is amazing from what i can tell from the pictures. one of my main concerns is that it is from 2011, is a 2011 macbook pro even worth it in 2014? Its listed for 700 but i cant see myself paying that for a used machine. What should I offer him if everything checks out? My main use for the laptop will be running Ableton Live so I would definitely upgrade the ram. Please let me know if what I am looking at is worth it. Spencer.

The Specs
    Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15"
    Intel core i7 processor
    4 GB of memory
    500 GB hard drive
    new battery
    Lion 10.7.5

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I'd avoid the 2011 models, they have an abnormally high GPU failure rate.

3. fencerspinley thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure anything from 2012 is out of my budget and might just be worth buying a new one. Is the performance different drastic from a 2011 to 2010?

4. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

if you can find a 2010 model, a few upgrades in the right direction will make your laptop on par with the more recent MacBooks :)

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

2010 is dual core, the 2011 is quad.

The 2011 is a very capable machine, but as previously mentioned they're not worth the risk due to the GPU issues.

6. fencerspinley thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what i was thinking with the quad core. Has anyone ever used Ableton on a dual core machine?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, avoid the 2011 model if you can. FWIW, though the 2010 MBP also had dGPU issues as well, so I'd recommend crossing that off the list of potential Macs to buy.

8. fencerspinley thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the gpu a problem with 13" 2011 Macs as well or is it all 2011 models?

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The 13" is fine as it uses Intel graphics on the CPU.

The 15" and 17" models have an additional AMD discrete GPU for higher graphics performance.