Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Foxtrot is only going to run on Sundays only once the new year hits...

http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/newsrelease/?view=468

FoxTrot to Cease Dailies

Kansas City, MO (12/05/2006) Bill Amend’s popular FoxTrot comic strip will go to a Sunday-only publication schedule as of Dec. 31, 2006, announced Universal Press Syndicate today. The last daily will be Saturday, Dec. 30. Reruns of dailies will be available for Web usage.

“After spending close to half of my life writing and drawing FoxTrot cartoons, I think it’s time I got out of the house and tried some new things,” said Amend. “I love cartooning and I absolutely want to continue doing the strip, just not at the current all-consuming pace. I’ve been blessed over the years with a terrific syndicate, patient newspaper clients, and more support from readers than I probably deserve, and I want to assure them all that while I’ll be now a less-frequent participant on the comics pages, I’ll continue to treat my visits as the special privilege they are.”

Amend, who started the strip in April, 1988, and who has more than 1,000 client newspapers, is taking time to pursue other creative outlets. “In addition to Sunday newspapers, we may see FoxTrot entertaining us in other kinds of media platforms,” says Lee Salem, president and editor of Universal Press Syndicate.

Amend has more than 30 published FoxTrot comic collections and has licensed his characters for calendars and wallpapers for cell phones. He was nominated in 2006 as a finalist for cartoonist of the year by the National Cartoonists Society’s Reuben Award.

Creator(s): Bill Amend

Contact(s): Kathie Kerr

Glad for him of course but sad to not be able to read a new one every day.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, even though I'm sad initially, it might be an idea to quit while you're ahead, like Bill Watterson, Gary Larson and Berke Breathead (who's even made a comeback after some well deserved R&R :)) and not follow in the footsteps of Jim Davis who should have retired Garfield around 1988...

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
Now Doonesbury is the only comic left on ucomics

I used to have 4 different in-print comics that I would check daily on the web, Dilbert, Boondocks, Doonesbury, and Foxtrot, now I'm down to two!

And to think, with leopard coming out I could have easily created widgets to view all the comics at once :(

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I used to have 4 different in-print comics that I would check daily on the web, Dilbert, Boondocks, Doonesbury, and Foxtrot, now I'm down to two!

And to think, with leopard coming out I could have easily created widgets to view all the comics at once :(
The link I posted above lets you read Dilbert daily.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
uComics also has Non Sequitor and three political cartoonists (Lefties) that are worth reading - Pat Oliphant, Ann Telnaes and Tom Toles.

Also Calvin & Hobbes and a less professionally done comic called C'est la Vie that's fun.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I downloaded the FoxTrot widget and that's one of the main reasons I go to my Dashboard daily. Now, I need something new. My Dashboard will look bare!

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Love Foxtrot but it is good to see people stop when the know they should. I don't read newspapers in hard copy form but when I see Sunday funnies I can't believe Peanuts Classics are the top of the fold comic. I get my funnies from comics.com and directly from the creators so I am glad to be able to see Foxtrot some time if now every day.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Foxtrot is one of my favorite daily comics. I read the comics every day, so this is a big deal to me! :(

Fortunately there are roughly a gazillion books of Foxtrot strips from years past, and a lot of other good strips out there.

The ones recommended above are good, as well as my other faves:

Monty
Stone Soup
Get Fuzzy (mentioned above but worth the double note :D)

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Don't forget:

Big Nate
F Minus
Frazz
Monty
Rubes
Sheldon
Speed Bump (fun Farside type)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It's sad that it's stopping, but it is probably better for it to stop now than for it to keep going forever until it finally gets old. Hopefully whatever replaces it wont be quite as bad as a lot of the other new ones.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, after the last week's meta strips, about the series quitting, I'm actually glad the daily strips are being discontinues...

ft061227.gif

...with ideas like that, I'm not going to miss the daily strips too much... :rolleyes:

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Well, after the last week's meta strips, about the series quitting, I'm actually glad the daily strips are being discontinues...

View attachment 64848

...with ideas like that, I'm not going to miss the daily strips too much... :rolleyes:

I laughed my butt off at it. That in my mind is great. One of the things I like about FoxTrot is the metaness of some of the strips.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
while i'm sad to see it go away from daily, better than him just doing it to go through the motions. at least i still have my Get Fuzzy and Dilbert. :D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
iFruit and also World of Warquest! Now there's only Dilbert, Zits and Shoe that are tier 1 comics as far as I'm concerned.
Shoe? Shoe? Say what?

Shoe hasn't been funny since its creator, Jeff MacNelly, DIED in 2000. (Nice man, BTW: I met him in Germany waaaaay back in the 1970s when he won the Thomas Nast award. He autographed one of his cartoons for me.)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I love foxtrot, even own some collections of strips, but he's been reusing plots and ideas for years. Going to once a week is not a bad idea.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
While I think it is very fitting that they are ending on the meta-strips, unfortunately these ones aren't his strongest. But I can't wait to see what it ends with...

Unfortunately, I don't think Breathed should have come back -- Opus is better than his previous attempt (who's name completely escapes me), he's just become way too bitter over the years and lost sight of the humour. What is amazing is just how well classic Bloom County recycles today!

My current list of must reads (all online) would be:

Non Sequitor
User Friendly
Rudy Park
Get Fuzzy
Doonsebury
FoxTrot :(
The Other Coast
Frazz (a recent addition due to a link from cycling forums)

The current still reads, but I think they're out of their heyday and ready to retire...

Piranha Club
Sherman's Lagoon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.