Good Campatible Printer for Macbook? School...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjenkins505, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

Hi I got my Macbook Pro earlier this summer and I want to know what a good cheap printer would be for it. I will be taking this to college and just need it for basic needs like word documents. Also does every printer work with macs?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Why didn't you get a free printer with your Mac?

Any printer in Apple's online store will work with Macs. Not all printers will work with Macs, but any with a USB connection on the market today should. Network printers don't care about the OS.

3. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

Cause I bought it through my colleges website and it was even cheaper. It gave me free Apple Care and IPod and the Mac was like 200 cheaper. So it made more sense.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Sorry to break it to you, but Apple's education store has the exact same deal, but with the free printer. :rolleyes:

5. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

6. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I didn't want to to start a new thread.

I'm wondering, does the free printer deal from Apple happen all year round, meaning will Apple still have the deal by next year?

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yup, always there, unlike the iPod deal.

9. glassx macrumors member

for a direct connect printer i have always had good luck with hp's, right now i am using a brother mfc cw790 wireless all in one. whatever you do look at the price of the ink before you buy the printer.

ps. if you go for a multi look for one that has a usb or card reader on the front, you can scan a document directly to a flash drive or memory card without using the computer

10. radicalcentrist macrumors member

I'm a big fan of my HP 5200-series. Ink is not horribly expensive, prints fast in draft-mode, picture printing is really impressive, and has an feeder tray to create large PDFs.

And you can connect via USB or Wifi.

In my opinion, scanning in PDFs of printed material (and notes) is far better than printing out all of the PDFs for your classes. A) it's far harder to lose your computer than 20 sheets of paper; and B) that's a HUGE waste of paper.

11. drewster macrumors member

Agreed on the laser printer. Did about 1000 pages a semester this year -- all on 1 toner. Would have probably been 2 or 3 inkjet. Plus the quality of the print looks better, which, if you are submitting papers might have a subtle effect on your grades.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Yeah. Get a laser. Nothing sucks more than trying to print an important document and your inkjet smears, clogs, etc. Laser is more professional and the toner will last longer than ink. I bought an HP1200 several years ago for $300 and it has been great. They are even cheaper now.