good cheap setup? Mini/Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JosephEsquivel, Aug 29, 2007.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

I want to ultimately have a home comuter as well as a laptop. Im lookin at the mac min for my home mac to do light video and photo editing. Now that they have gone core 2 duo are they a good deal?

Also i will then be looking to get a macbook for on the go photo editing and web/email.

Which would the board suggest i get first? or would i even need to get both? I had the idea to get a monitor/keyboard/mouse to use the macbook at home, but id like a dedicated unit.

Any suggestions welcome. This would be my first Mac

2. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

IMHO, no one should buy a mini unless they already have a half decent monitor. The economics just don't work out. What about buying a MacBook first and then add a monitor/kbd/mouse (I would suggest bluetooth keyboards and mice as you would need to plug/unplug fewer cables)? If/when this no longer satisfies you, you could then add mini. You might even be able to snag a refurb C2D mini by then. The C2D MacBook is currently faster than the mini so unless you really hate plugging/unplugging the laptop when you go out, it could be a better desktop than the mini.

4. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

yea, ive been lookin at the refurb'd macbook with the dvd burner, just need to get 1100=ish dollars saved up i guess....

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the best apple bargain you can find right now is the $799 refurb core duo macbook. it has no superdrive, but it's still a capable computer. it's like a mini but in laptop form. what's not to like?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MacBook refurbs are great value at the moment because all the last refresh did was bump the speeds up a bit. Make sure you get a C2D MacBook (late '06 model).

7. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

the imac is a great home computer and was JUST updated, the macbook is a great laptop, but if u want both, i recommend the highend macbook pro 15inch with a 20 inch monitor

8. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

a, i would love a mbp, but im on a tight budget, so saving up for the basic macbook is gonna take awhile

9. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

the mac mini is terrible, good if ur gonna just surf the net, or listen to music, the low end mac mini is horrid, only good for business that needs to run one app, and one app at a time, if u get a macbook, then get either the highend white, or black, the low end wont work for ur light video editing a photo editing, as a matter a fact, the macbook is not really good at either, but if u wish, get one of the highends, then if youd like, get a 20inch display for home, hook the macbook up to it, then on the go, unplug it

10. oldMac macrumors 6502a

I disagree with this statement.

My home office setup has 2 mac minis:

1) PPC w/ 1GB RAM that I use for Email, Web, Client Documents, Web image editing, IM, FTP, programming, etc.

2) An Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM running Windows XP professional that's used for running IIS and doing Windows-based development

Both of these are just fine for most uses, though the PPC is a little slow for anything video related.

The key with both of these is having enough RAM installed. You really do need at least a GB these days if you're planning to run more than a couple apps at a time.