Good cheap tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by safetyobc, Nov 30, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Looking for a decent (don't have to be great) tripod to use with a JVC GR-D750 camcorder for home use.

Thanks,

safetyobc

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Price range?

You can spend anywhere from $10-10,000 (no joke) on a tripod. Help us help you.:)

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

4. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

CHEAP!

$10 to $30 is all I want to spend at this point. $30 being high. $10 would be awesome, as long as it is tall enough. I don't want to have to put it up on a table to get height. However, if it were collapsable, so I could use it at lower heights, would be great.

Basically, all I will use it for is at Birthdays, Christmas, etc. where I can set it up, let it record. Don't need nothin fancy.

Thanks

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Remember, you get what you pay for, especially with tripods. Granted, you don't need a super-duper one, but I can almost guarantee you that you won't be happy with a $10 tripod.

Basically, a $10 tripod is decent to hold a shot steady; forget panning, or trying to use the camera (zoom) when it's on something so flimsy. In other words, you might as well be setting it on a table.

I doubt I've changed your opinion, but saving $60 on a tripod (you can get a pretty decent one for around $70) that you plan to use, by your own admission, for multiple events shouldn't be considered wasted money. Its an investment in the quality of your filming, those moments that you could potentially ruin with poor camera work.

Check stuff by Bogen/Manfrotto; its pretty hefty so you reduce vibration and bumps. You also want to make sure the head is fluid for pan and tilt. One last idea may be to get, either by making or buying, a steady-cam so you can do handheld shots better. Granted, you can't set it down which may be what you're looking for, but its a cool tool to have.

In summation: $10 tripods work if the only thing you're doing is setting a static location. With any pans, tilts or zooms, consider spending more to get more.

6. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Thanks for the tips and information.

I ended up just getting THIS tripod for $21 shipped (UPS shipping too). I know it won't do all the fancy stuff. But honestly all I want it for is to set up in one spot and film. If I find that I need panning and tilting, I will invest in a better tripod as mentioned above.

I am VERY new to the video biz. I bought a "budget" camcorder (will pick up at Circuit City tomorrow). I did do my research though and picked the best reviewed "budget" camcorder that I could find (JVC GR-D750). I don't want to invest a lot of money in this right now, because I know that HD will come down in price and in a couple years time I can likely get a decent HD camcorder for $300 or so bucks.

Thanks again! I appreciate the info and tips!