Good & cheap wireless router?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

1) I have a PC Desktop connected through Ethernet cable. However someone just gave me a Kindle which only works with WiFi, so I need a wireless router that I can also connect by PC to for Internet. PC is old and has no wireless card.

Thanks!

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

A wireless card within a PC would intercept wifi, not distribute, I think.

You could check places like Newegg and TigerDirect for cheap routers and look at the reviews.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Good and cheap. That would be a trick!

You know the old saying:
    Good, Fast, Cheap... pick two.

Well, in this case, Fast is a subset of Good.
    And you only get to pick one.

4. RawBert, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I have the Netgear WNDR3300 and have installed it in two friends' homes and one for my mom. They're pretty reliable, from my experience. You can get one online right now for about 50-60 bucks but earlier today 1saleaday.com had them for $25 shipped. Look around the net, you'll get a deal like that quick.
    Also try eBay. Here's a refurb for $35.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Something made by netgear, dlink or linksys will work fine and can likely be had for less than $20 on ebay.

6. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Only router that hasnt died on me has been the airport extreme. I've tried linksys, belkin, and netgear.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You could probably also add a wireless card or USB dongle for your PC for $10-15 or so, if you were interested.

8. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I would like to find one that is good and fast, does not necessarily have to be cheap. I am getting rid of my land line phone, since our iPhones have been getting great reception in the house with not a single dropped call. Only problem is that this means we also need to get new Internet service. We will be going with cable Internet, but the modem does not have a router, so we need to get a wireless router. I am not sure of what to look for, and the specs for these things are boggling my mind. Any help would be appreciated.