Good cinemas in London?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpookTheHamster, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

On Wednesday I want to see the Dark Knight in London with two other people, some time around 8 as my girlfriend finishes work around Oxford St at 7. I've always found it difficult to find a decent cinema in central London, as I've no idea where to look.

Can anyone recommend me a cinema? I've been to the big famous Odeon, it was rubbish and I don't want to go there again.

2. jSunbeam macrumors regular

If you're looking at central London then you can't go wrong with the Curzon Soho. Charing Cross Road end of Shaftesbury Avenue. Lovely place.

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

I avoid the central London cinemas as they charge so much more but they still seem to be just as bad as the rest.

4. MacTraveller macrumors regular

Good cinemas in London. Those are the ones that sell popcorn, right?

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Screen one at the swiss cottage odeon is the nicest big screen I'm aware of, if you'd rather have a cosier cinema the coronet in notting hill is rather nice IMO far nicer than the electric cinema in portobello though I hear their sofa's are rather nice at the back of the cinema.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Prince Charles cinema is "good".

I hope you like to sing along. ;)

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I'll second the Curzon Soho. Not cheap but it's pretty good, although they're not showing the Dark Knight - go and see Tropa de Elite instead :p

Here's a list of all the cinemas in London, and a list of all the cinemas showing the Dark Knight (plays a trailer when you open it).

It's actually quite difficult to find a decent cinema in central London, and if your timings are wrong or your not a student then it's expensive as well.

Abstract's right - the Prince Charles is nice, although you don't have to like singing ;)

9. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

The Picturehouse cinema's are my favourite - nice independent cinema chain. Although you've got to venture out to either Stratford, Clapham or Greenwich.

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

IMAX is the best!

They even have a page for The Dark Night, check it out!

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You don't even have to sing well. People are so busy looking at the weirdos, your singing won't even be noticed. It'll just add to the atmosphere. That's the beauty of it.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Remember to book well ahead though… as in weeks if not months.

Having said that I saw the Dark Knight at the iMax and it was actually a bit tiring!
    Talk about aural visual assault.
    :D