Good Consumer Camcorder for Chroma Key

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by oceanzen, Dec 26, 2007.

1. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

I heard lots of good talk about the Canon HV20 (with regards to quality & chroma key). I'm almost certain this is the cam I will go with.

I need to do a lot of green-screen recording for my Uni project. I will have an 8-core Apple Mac Pro 4GB Ram, 3 or 4 Hard Drives. (When the new ones are released)

I just read on here that as the HDV format compresses 1920x1080 to 1440x1080, it can compromise good chroma keying. Is it worth getting a BlackMagic Intensity card (or similar?) to capture uncompressed footage from the HDMI output? Will this create a much bigger file size compared to the HDV footage? I want to edit HD in Final Cut without converting to SD.

Thanks

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I can vouch for the HV20, excellent cam, haven't tried it with the Greenscreen yet, but will very soon. I don't think there is much of a compromise unless you will be blowing up the video very large.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Lighting is the biggest part of green/blue screening. Even using the best camera in the world wouldn't make much difference if the lighting is sub par.

Lethal