Good consumer NAS suggestings

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by clarkie604, Mar 14, 2013.

1. clarkie604 macrumors member

My Seagate BlackArmor NAS 110 is dying on me so I need a new NAS -- or maybe I should just go with an internal drive.

I'm just looking for basic NAS functionality - serving files to multiple computers and AppleTVs.

Details on my setup -- Main desktop is always on, running iTunes and Plex. iTunes and Plex libraries are on NAS. AppleTVs play music and movies via iTunes. We AirPlay Plex for movies that aren't in iTunes compatible format. Also use Plex for remote access to movie library.

So, any suggestions for a solid NAS that won't break the bank? Or thoughts on just loading a new internal hard drive into the desktop instead.

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

D-Link two bay models are very well designed and have a good track record.

3. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

If you have your Desktop running at all times, why not just get a PCI-E Raid card?

I bought one for a different purpose but there are PCI-E cards that support Raid and have inputs for 4+ HDDS. Only problem is the power cables and stuff.

Otherwise The Synology ones are pretty good.

1 Bay for 160$ --> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108114

2Bay for 209$

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I chose the ReadyNAS Duo for my own network storage experiment. It is compact, offers several RAID options and won't break the bank since I already had a few bare disks lying around. Looks like the latest iteration has added USB3.

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've been running an Iomega PX2-300D for a couple of months now, and it's been stable and fast -- much faster than what I replaced (a D-Link DNS323).

I wouldn't have looked at the Iomega line, but this model got a strong review over at smallnetbuilders.

I put a pair of WD Red 2 tb drives in it, and they've been doing fine also.