Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pegano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
I have plenty of desk room, but I don't want to pay through the nose for a nice 1600x1200 screen. The reason I'm leaning CRT is that all the LCDs out there above 1280x1024 seem to be both widescreen and extremely expensive.
Any thoughts appreciated. :D

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
The NEC multisync CRT's are really good monitors for the price. Depending on what size you want, the resolutions vary. If you want to spend a little more money, you could try sony or LaCie. What are you going to be using it for. Is it just a basic monitor, or are you doing some type of work on it. How big of a display do you want? Those things would help in your decision.

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Anyone know of a good LCD for FPS gaming? I know there is a ghosting effect on most but maybe some higher end models eliminate that side affect?

SkudShark

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2004
Well I use two Samsung LCD's right now and play UT2k4, Halo and whatnot, and I'm not seeing any ghosting really that I can tell. So, Samsung LCD's so far are my pic :) And cheap!

crowdaddy said:
Anyone know of a good LCD for FPS gaming? I know there is a ghosting effect on most but maybe some higher end models eliminate that side affect?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
What is cheap for a 1600X1200 LCD monitor? Most are 1280X1024 tops. if you go CRT I say get a high quality brand like NEC?MITSI_SONY?LACIE. with at least 85 refresh at 1600X1200. My 22" sony flat crt has 1600X1200 at 100 solid and crystal clear for a crt that is looks better than crt on dark levels, and I personally like dvds better on crts, especially dark scenes, i guess its the LCD Pixels i notice that i dont see on the CRT"S. and 2048X1536 at 86 which is still quite clear. but my system is too weak to play games that high.
Actually I want the 23" also.
But CRT, at least the newer ones like the Lacie with Flat screens, super bright technology, are really very good, bright and easier on the eyes than many will let you believe, but it seems almost everyone that gets an new LCD, really down talks CRTS, the one they had was probably old in the tooth though. dont forget no problems with dead pixels, looks good at all resolutions from 600 to 2000 never blurry or kids poking pens at your screen and too heavy and big to steal. all said I will keep my CRT and hopefully add an LCD next year for the best of both worlds.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I tried top LCD's for gaming, and it's not pretty. So I bought an E540 Sony 21" CRT. Okay, it wasn't for gaming specifically, since I WANTED a 23" LCD but I'm not made of dough. The Sony cost a "whopping" $500.00 and it is spectacular for everything. I have my Apple 17" as a second monitor to the side.

Pegano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm currently narrowing my choices down through (not-so) rigorous testing at various electronics stores and reading online reviews. My top choice right now is the LaCie ElectronBlue 19" which I think not only has good quality and value for its price, but just looks kinda funky and cool with that bizarre, supposedly-image-enhancing, hood. So if any of you have one, tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly before i slap down my dollar. Thanks again. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.