Good day to you all...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Paul Graham, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Paul Graham macrumors regular

Paul Graham

A slight introduction...

Well, My name is Paul and I'm a Mac virgin for the most part.
    I've already got three gaming pc's I've built myself, so I am a bit of a geek already
    and have a good knowlage of computer hardware, Building and repairing.
    But I have been tiring of re-installing windows, Pesky viruses,
    Issue upon issue with drivers etc...
    Anyhoo, I have had a little look at some macs as my brother has a few and my
    brother in law has a macbook pro. Plus I've played around with different distros of linux.
    I visited my local stormfront and comfirmed my preference for macs.
    Sooo, Last crimbo I managed to score for my 7 year old boy a Powermac G3 with kb
    and mouse for £25 on ebay and it works just fine. ( Yep Im on a budget at the mo )
    I cant remember which OS it's running but will find out
    once we get our own place and it's out of storage.

Just the other day my bother, Who owns two Emac G4's offered to sell me one for £80,
    So, I couldn't resist pouncing on it, As it's in mint condition, Running 1.25ghz cpu, 1gb ram and a larger hdd
    ( Not sure on the size though. ). It's Running Leopard pretty smoothly plus he's bundled in some music/photography
    software, Which is very handy as I'm a DJ and going to Art college next year to do a
    digital photography course!

I already plan on using my Logitech MX Revolution and the smaller Mac Bluetooth keyboard ( With dongle )
    And will bbe getting an Apple Cinema Display at some point.
    Reason for the display - I will eventually upgrade to a minimac ( or mac mini??? ) or a Powermac.
    Maybe an imac and use the display as a secondary disp?!
    Storage wize I have two WD 1tb external drives and a Seagate 320gb external.
    Probably will get a third WD 1tb, So storage space definately WON'T be an issue lol!

So does that all sound ok so far you mac experts?
    Please bare in mind, I am on a very tight budget as I'm also saving for a new car. Being a full time carer
    and disabled myself, I'm not on huge amounts of wonga lol.

Also...

Will the emac recognize and communicate easily with an iphone 3gs and a Blackberry Curve 8300?
    And lastly...
    Will my emac run photoshop without too much lag?

All my thanks, Paul ;)

p.s. Will post a pic of said emac up in the pictures section as it is at my bros, And will then update once its here with me!

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Not sure I can address all of those questions.. but I will say welcome to the Forums :)

3. Paul Graham thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Thanks for the welcome dude ;)
    And yeh, Quite a few queries there actually lol:D

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Hey and welcome to he forums :)

Maybe an imac and use the display as a secondary disp?!
    Storage wize I have two WD 1tb external drives and a Seagate 320gb external.
    Probably will get a third WD 1tb, So storage space definately WON'T be an issue lol!

I am not an expert but yes it sounds fine and you can never have enough space.

You should buy an imac as your main machine instead of as an extra monitor because it would be a waste of money.

Yes the emac should recognize both of these smartphones however depending on the age of the mac it might only have usb1 instead of 2 so it might be slow.

And I don't know if the blackberry software is intel only or not

And you should buy an Imac as a main working machine because unless you do very very light photoshopping and of course depending on filters and photosize the emac will/might be too laggy for heavy editing

5. Paul Graham thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Thanks for answering my questions!
    Reason I will get a secondary display anyway, Is the fact I do a lot of work online ( Part owner of a hardware review site amongst other online duties. )
    So two screens is a must for me these days, Apart from right now as using my 32" lcd as a monitor lol!
    I'll probably definately end up with an imac as it will match the other display, use less space and I do really really like them! I just have to wait until later this year or next year once my car is bought!
    As for photoshop, I usually only make 'slight' changes anyway, Most of the work is done in-shoot;) But I will take that advice under my wing whilst Im using the emac!
    Oh and Im almost sure its usb 2.0.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

7. Paul Graham thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Thanks! That's not an issue as the Powermac will be in my sons room. The only things being synced to it will be an 8gb Nano and his vtech camera. He's only 7 so that will bbe more than enough for him!

8. Paul Graham thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Yay... Posting from my nice new ( used ) emac!
    Well, Im definately impressed, And Most definately converted!!! lol.
    It's the G4 model so usb 2.0. Has a 140gb hdd 1gb ram and 1.42ghz cpu.
    Using one of my WD elements 1tb for now and have my ipod docked. Running three tabs in Safari and have an album playing on itunes.
    Haha, Its woopin my dual core 3,2ghz 6gb ocz reaper, gaming rigs arse! ok maybe not if i was gaming, But for general use etc its on the ball for sure!

This has certainly confirmed my feelings about getting an imac and macbook next year! It WILL be happening :)

I'm one happy chappy!

p.s. one query...

If I decide to use my elements drive as a time machine, Will it still be accessable as an external storage drive as well? How exactly does this time machine thing work??? the elements drive is a 1tb jobby ;)

9. Paul Graham thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Well it's been 9 months & I'm very pleased with the eMac, She's not let me down once.
    Ended up installing Gimp instead of Photoshop, Just as good imo and ideal for my needs.
    However, I just scored myself a deal I couldnt say no to on an iMac c2d 20".
    She 'Should' be here tomorrow fingers crossed!

Is there anything I should be aware of when Im setting her up?

ie...

Is it a case of plugging in my external wd ( time machine )
    and it transfers everything over?

The iMac is running OS X Lion.
    The eMac is running OS X Leopard 10.5.8

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I would just play with the iMac for a while to make sure the Lion install runs OK for you. I had a lot of issues with it on my '08 MacBook Pro with the C2D processor and 4 gigs on ram.

When you get ready to transfer all your stuff to the iMac, make sure you make a backup of everything just incase something goes wrong. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (free) for this. Migration Assistant will help with the transfer. Here is a link to Apple Support.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

Dale

Edit: Time Machine will transfer your stuff just as well. My Time Machine drive was starting to fail. so I went with CCC on a different drive.