Good deal for 2011 MBP? Is buying older dumb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Weedy28, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Weedy28 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I haven't bought a computer in a long time and need some help!

I am looking at a used MBP unibody, early 2011 (the one with AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB), 4GB, Crucial 256 SSD, and the antiglare hires screen. Its $1500.

Is this a good buy? Are there any issues with the Crucial drive and the MBP I should know about? Will I get a few years out of this computer?

I will be using for graphic design, mostly print with HiRes image processing in photoshop. Using CS3 currently but would like to upgrade. And to browse the internet and watch netflix movies.

Any other recommendations if not this one?

THANKS!!!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's a great deal. By no means is an early 2011 a dumb idea. I bought mine last year and plan on keeping it for at least 3 more years.

3. Weedy28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it seems like a good deal but I worry buying something used on the internet.

Should I worry about the Crucial SSD drive at all? I guess Apple will not cover any repairs if the drive was replaced, right? Even if I buy an apple care plan?

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I think its better to buy the older one. You can save so much cash and they are still very very fast machines.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

They can give you serial numbers that you can look up to check to validity of the computer. I assume it's a Crucial M4 drive. If that's the case, no need to worry as that is a great drive. You can't buy Apple Care for that computer anyways. It needs to be purchased a year after the original purchase.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Where are you buying it from?

I just recently purchased the 15inch 2011 Oct Edition (High End) MBP with High Res/Anti Glare for $1350 - stock HD 750GB (i have my own ssd to put in it)

It still has 6 months warranty - and most important part it can still have the extended warranty added.

I have purchased/resold several MBP - I would be very hesitate to purchased used without warranty from someone I didn't know.

I would shoot for a 2011 Oct MBP - or a Feb that was bought 11 months or less ago

Also - we are talking about a 15inch correct?

7. Weedy28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, great advice from you both! I will ask for the serial number. I forgot about the 1 year rule for purchasing the extended warranty. I think I was leaning to the early 2011 MBP 15" because of the better graphics card and more video memory in the 2.2GHz version. But I'll see if the seller sends me the serial # to decide.

Thanks!

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Mine for 1350 was for the 2.4ghz october model with the high end video card and 1gb video memory.

I think you can do better - that ssd is often on sale for less than $200 brand new - FYI