Good deal for a 2011 iMac, or wait for 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by VinchenzoD87, Jul 26, 2012.

1. VinchenzoD87 macrumors newbie

I need some help on making a decision on a buying a new iMac. There's a deal at Frys for an iMac base 21.5 2011 for $1,049 that ends today. Is that a good price for old spec? Should I wait for the 2012 for better specs and miss out on the deal? Is the new iMac 2012 gonna be way better than the 2011? I really need a new computer since my 2006 MacBook crapped out on me in the begging of this year but I also can wait if the new models are comming out in a month or two. I will be useing my Mac for web browsing, music, video editing and playing games. Any help would great, super :confused: right now.

2. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

There's no such thing as a good deal on a 2011 iMac... only a deal where you lose as little value as possible. $150 off ticket seems as fair as anything you're likely to find. The new iMacs were expected in May, then at WWDC in June, then this week with Mountain Lion... as you will observe they are not here and now we have nothing but hearsay and conjecture on when they might show up. September? October? 2013? Never (Product end-of-lifed because it's not mobility tech)? We just don't know.

If you can stand the value haircut at $1049, well, I've seen worse offers on Apple' own website this very day, to put it simply. :)

3. Flood123, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012

Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

If you need a computer now, get one. If not wait. Just know that with the question you are assuming there WILL be a 2012 model. Apple has made no such promises.

4. anuheakane macrumors newbie

I was waiting for the 2012 model...correction I've been waiting for the 2012 model. I needed to replace my old MacBook Pro back in March and waited...till I found an open box iMac 21.5 at BestBuy for $1000.

I've never been happier. You can speculate when and what about 2012 model. But you can still do what you need to do with 2011 model and will be happy doing it.

So it comes down to how long you can do without a new machine.

5. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

I just bought the 2011 iMac 3.1 and its awesome. I was thinking about waiting, but there is always something new coming out, so you always be waiting.

6. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Except the next release is widely believed to be a redesign and not simply a spec bump. Pretty big difference.

7. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

And there will be something new after that...Which will be a "pretty big difference" too.

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Re-read what I wrote.

If Apple re-designs...they won't re-design 6 months later.

9. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Since when is the next iMac "widely believed to be a redesign"?

It's been rumored that it might have a Retina display, but there's zero evidence of whatever it might be much less a redesign.

10. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo