Good Deal for a Macbook Retina 15 inch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macAllen, Apr 1, 2015.

1. macAllen macrumors 6502

macAllen

I found this listing on craigslist and I honestly need a second opinion.

15" Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Core i7
    8GB Memory
    256GB of SSD

All for $550 and in perfect mint condition.

So what do you guys think? I currently have a MBA 13" mid 2012... Im a student that is looking for an upgrade, with a reasonable budget, however I saw this and to me its such a good offer to pass up...

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

sounds too good to be true

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If it's real

It's a bargain...

4. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

>Craigslist

Yeah.

Meet up with the seller in a public place, bring a friend with you, check the laptop in person before handing over the money, that's what I would do.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Don't check just once source, but get an average from all sites for a more accurate idea. Some sites may be higher/lower than is realistic. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. If the model is recent enough, you can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

6. TLmac macrumors member

I've been looking for a Mid 2014, 13' Refurb on Apple, 8gb/256 SSD/i5 for about $1150-ish...

Even though this is Craigslist...I also think it sounds too good to be true! I'd be afraid something was wrong with it or just a bad deal! It's always good to save $$ but I'd be afraid of getting s c r e w e d!!

7. macAllen thread starter macrumors 6502

macAllen

So I did think right... It's too good of a deal to pass up even if its 3 years old... But you think its a great buy considering its the first gen of the retina macbook pro?

8. dyt1983, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

9. dyt1983, Apr 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

11. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Does it have the AMD Graphics that's been known to have issues? Apple issued a replacement program last month. They could be selling it thinking they can't get the graphics card repaired, Apple now will fix it for free.

12. dyt1983, Apr 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

They were covered under the same program however.

14. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

My bad - I missed the Retina part. If it's retina though I'd agree it's too good to be true.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Never know until you try though... It could just be an owner who is in a jam and needs money, someone whose GPU is starting to go and doesn't know about the program, etc. Worst case, have a intimidating friend there.

16. macAllen thread starter macrumors 6502

macAllen

Wait so if this laptop does indeed have this problem whats the cost to repair it? Since Apple has a replacement program and because since this will be purchased independently...

Thanks for the tips! Ive sold at least 3 phones on CL so I think I know how to purchase a laptop... think, that is till you mention a firmware lock...

How would I make sure that it doesn't have this? I was playing to if this is real have the person and I reinstall the system OS so that if there is iCloud tied to it the seller can remove it right then and there...

Thanks guys for the tips and opinions! Much appreciated!

and as to contacting the seller I haven't but plan on it tonight!

17. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

I say jump on it bro but make sure they do a full factory reset of the computer and also call apple to make sure the device isn't registered stole by telling them the serial number

18. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy