Good deal for a used 15" rMBP 2015?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Untouchable49, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Untouchable49 macrumors newbie

So I have the opportunity to purchase a 15" rMBP 2015 entry level model ( 2,2 GHz QC i7, 16GB RAM & 256GB storage) with Apple care for $1153. The retail price is around $2300. It is supposedly in new condition and I have the opportunity to have a look at it and test it for 24 hours before sanctionizing the deal. Given everything looks ok, do you think I should go for it? And while testning it, what should I look out for?

My ideal machine is really a 13" rMBP 2015 with 2,7 GHz DC i5, 8/16GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Do you think I could sell this machine with a profit later on if I find it too big and then purchase the 13"?

Would love your opinion!

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Considering how much you are saving, you should be able to make a profit. Check craigslist, eBay to see what similar used models are being sold for, so that you know how much profit to expect.

It's somewhat suspicious that the price is so low. At most it is 8 months old and it is likely less. The price is about half of retail and with Applecare included the price is even lower. You need to be sure you trust the individual.

Get something like coconut battery, which will tell you how many cycles your battery had, and its general health. You are covered for something like 80% original capacity after 1000 cycles. If possible, try to go to an Apple store and check for water damage as this not always visible and any corrosion will kill the Mac. Maybe check on Apple's website for the actual Applecare expiry date, confirming that this machine has it and the person isn't just lying.

As long as there is no water damage, smoker damage or any physical damage, Applecare will cover the rest.

3. Untouchable49 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I found it on a swedish site equivalent to craigslist, and my guess is its a lack of knowledge/money in excess from the sellers side (based on our conversation and her home adress being in one of the wealthiest suburbs in the country lol) that is causing the low price.

I asked her about the cycle count but she had no idea how to look it up, so I had to give her a download link and a step-by-step instruction on how to do it. She said she'd look it up tomorrow (today) so hopefully I'll have that information soon (but of course I'll double check when I get it).

I don't have an Apple store nearby, but maybe there is another way of looking for water damage?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

They are on the inside of the case. http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/15/inside_the_new_macbooks_lsi_battery_hd_and_ram.html

The phones have them in the headphone jack and sim card tray but the laptops need to be taken apart, which is why I suggested taking it to the store. You need a 5 point screwdriver otherwise.

You might be able to test the CPU by running a test: http://osxdaily.com/2012/10/02/stress-test-mac-cpu/. This essentially allows you to see if there are any issues with heat.

There is an official test where you hold down the D key on boot up: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18765?locale=en_US but it is not guaranteed to find everything.

This terminal command checks the cycle count: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050213125925746 (ioreg -l | grep Capacity). It is accurate to what my battery meter shows.

5. Untouchable49 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a life saver. Don't think I have the skills (or the tools) to investigate the lsi status on my own though, but if there is any water damage to the computer it should be visible by the time I get my hands on it, no? It would be around a week and a half after the ad was originally posted.

I'll make sure to run those tests though!

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If the outside is clean, how can you tell? Most water damage is quick, but small amounts can take a while if it is corroding something. In general, you should be ok as people usually don't spill stuff on their computers in small amounts.

7. Untouchable49 thread starter macrumors newbie

'Visible' as in affecting performance in one way or another. I should have chosen my words better, but you'll have to forgive me as english isn't my native language. :)

So I was really wondering about how long time the corrosive process would take, but I guess it is pretty hard to give a definite time frame.

I'm not overly concerned about that potential problem, due to the reasons you mention.

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

No worries, I didn’t even recognize you are not a native speaker.

Aside from outside damage, the logic board can have corrosion. This usually results in the battery not charging, the screen having problems with brightness or just not working, or the keyboard with a few broken keys. There can be other things as well, but in general if it still works after two weeks then you are 99% OK. Large amounts of liquid are quick, especially if the liquid is not water.