Good deal for iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuebby, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so I'm looking to get an iPad and I don't really care about getting the latest model, I don't need a camera and slightly thinner/faster doesn't really matter to me.

So here's the rub, I was gonna wait for Wednesday just to see what happened but I was checking out CL to see if I could spot a good deal since I'm not much of waiter...

Anyway, found a 32GB listed for 430, offered 400, he countered with 415... should I go for it? It's 3 days old, comes with original box, etc...

(I know it's tough to say what I should do, I'd just like opinions)

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I would just wait. The deals will only get better after the announcement, whatever it is. Even if they say nothing the deals won't get worse. I'd go for it at 415 but if you're not in a huge rush just wait him out a bit and see what happens.

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

why sell a three day old iPad...cant they return it for a full refund....sounds fishy

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just wait. You say you don't care about the newer model but chances are, you will care. The second hand iPad market is likely about to get a massive influx of first generation iPads so the resale prices will drop significantly.

Apple will likely sell off first generation iPads at about 20% off so about $480 for the 32GB version. Maybe even less depending on how Apple prices the new iPad. $415 doesn't sound all that good to me if Apple will be selling the same model effectively new with a full new warranty for $65 more.

Although, as I said, there will be a big influx of second hand iPads so I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up a 32GB gen 1 iPad for under $400 next week.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i think it's a good deal. if you know you don't need it then i say go for it.

6. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I told him I didn't want to go over 400. If I'm gonna buy one before seeing the new gen I'm gonna get the best deal possible. And even if not it'll kill time until the new ones are announced and I can make a fully informed decision.

7. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I agree. I've dealt with Craigslist scammers enough that it looks too suspicious. 3 days old and they would rather sell it for $200 loss than a simple return or even $500 on ebay?

And why rush to buy now when a new one is 36hrs away. What if there's a price drop or a "magical" feature you didn't know you wanted? The used market will be flooded with iPads by the end of the week so whats the rush?

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

ask for the serial #? check if he's telling the truth :D
    or tell him to meet you at an apple store to do the exchange lol