Good Deal? Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gentile, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

On Craig's List I found the following Macbook Pro for sale:

15.4" screen, 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2GB memory, 120 gb hard, Bluetooth, airport extreme, cd/dvd superdrive, and start up disks (Leopard, iLife, and Office) for $660.

Is this a good deal?

Too good to be true?

What should I look at for on a Macbook of this age?

Can I trust buying something on Craig's List for this amount of money?

I think this is an early 2006 Macbook Pro which comes with wireless G. Can this be upgraded to Wireless N?

Will an Apple Remote work with this?

I'll be using this to show Keynote presentations, create Pages documents, and internet use.

Thanks for your advice.

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

i'd be wary. In fact, it is most likely a fake.

how does the seller want to make this transaction?

you'd best make the seller understand that you are buying it on the condition that you are allowed to thoroughly inspect it.

Apple remote will work.

Wireless N, you can use an express card.

3. Gentile thread starter macrumors regular

Gentile

I am still waiting on response from seller.

Do you think they are trying to have me mail the money first and then never deliver the product?

What are ways to guard against such fraud? Inspect it and exchange money and computer at the same time?

When I inspect it, what should be looking out for?

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

if he wants to involve shipping into the equation, i'd bail right there...since there is a 99% chance that its a dud. paypal, western union, money order, any of that crap....bail.

as for inspecting it, I'd check the "about this mac"...you can view that by clicking the applel icon on the top left.

check if the superdrive is working, display bleeding, backlit keyboard, cosmetic defects. It can be hard to make a decision on the spot...so you'd have to spend at least a week with it. but since that isnt an option, just check for those signs I listed.

But I probably wasted my words. I highly doubt that it will be a face to face transaction, or that he even has a MBP

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you have to ask...

6. rjp macrumors regular

So many scams on craigslist.

Be carefull! There are so many scams on craigslist, especially for macs and cars I've noticed. I would not believe this seller unless you can meet in person. You could ask him to list it on ebay then pay with paypal and I think you would get some buyer protection from paypay. I once lost 500 dollars on an ebay purchase and paypal reimbursed me after 30 days. Check it out first though. He may only be entitled to 200 dollar coverage.

7. dringkor macrumors member

If the seller responds I bet she's in the UK and wants to ship...

If this isn't a scam I'll eat my hat.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

craigslist is so full of scams, the only way i would buy something off craigslist is if its a local person and you can meet up for the transaction, or if you can at least speak to the person on the phone, but even that isnt completely safe.

9. jonswan macrumors regular

Unless it's deformed, dropped or otherwise wrecked then there's no reason for him not to ask for about $1000 for the Mac, so yes, it is too good to be true. I had something similar from Craigslist and rightly bailed. Unless they're prepared to meet then say no.

10. pscoble macrumors 6502

Yeeeeaaahhh that is looking a little to good to be true. If you can't meet the buyer and inspect the machine I would NOT go through with it.

11. Gentile thread starter macrumors regular

Gentile

Thanks for everyone's great advice.

It was too good to be true...here is the response below.

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is ###### and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
    This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 10 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until June 2008 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.

12. G5power macrumors 6502

Craigslist scams

This particular MBP was listed time after time in multiple cities. I have seen it on the local Craigslist get flagged and reposted over and over.

Anytime you see a low priced Apple notebook, check other cities and you will see almost identical ads using the same picture.

The funny thing was seeing the bogus ad right next to one where some local guy was seriously trying to sell a G3 800 MHz iBook for $450.

13. Thunderpuppy macrumors newbie

Dear Abby always says

That if it is too good to be true then don't do it!