Good deal on 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bravens52, Nov 22, 2009.

1. bravens52 macrumors regular

Hey guys and gals. I've been in the market for a 13" MBP and I Found a ad in LA with a guy selling a 17" MBP unibody for $750. Long story short he said he would take paypal payments and ship. I stay in Chicago and he looked up the shipping rates and all. We have been emailing back and forth and he sent me the serial number of the device and everything matched up. It even is still under AppleCare until oct 2010. He gave me his paypal email and all of that to send him the money. Should I take this immediately. Or should I hold up. Do you think the 17" is too big?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

If your gonna give your money away, at least donate it to charity. That is clearly a scam at $750.

4. bravens52 thread starter macrumors regular

He says he is behind on bills and he priced it so low so he could sell it sooner rather than later

5. NATB100 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't

It isn't worth the risk, besides, a macbook 13" is very much worth it:D

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Let me get this straight - you want to buy this MBP...from a seller who is not local...off of craiglist...for more than $1,000 less than what it costs new.

Ask yourself why you would sell a piece of equipment for that much of a loss to a seller in another city when you could easily get more at a local pawn shop.

Or, if you really want to believe that this is not a scam, then go right ahead. General rule of thumb: If it seems too good to be true, it is.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

SCAM is SCAM, as SPAM is SPAM. Just because s/he wrote s/he is behind bills, doesn't mean it's the truth.
    Checking a serial also won't work, if the computer hasn't been registered as stolen with Apple.

Even if the reason behind the sell is the truth, the seller could easily get 1500$ for it.

8. bravens52 thread starter macrumors regular

I even just had him text message my cell phone. This guy to me seems legit. I'm just scared to pull the plug

9. bravens52 thread starter macrumors regular

I even typed the area code of the number he text messages me from into google and it matches where his ad is which is Carson California. I just asked him to mms me pics of the computer

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There's a reason that craigslist warns you to deal only in person.

It's your money.

Just kiss it before you send it off!

11. bravens52 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll play for it with my Amex. Worst case scenario it doesn't work. Ill get the money back because of the credit protectiono

12. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Greed Eats Brain. Go and burn your money. Noone would sell something for 1/3 of its retail price if its that desired as a macbook is. It is stolen, "found" or not existent (with the seller as owner)

Cellphones can actually be stolen as well and with a prepaid cards help he can be located everywhere...

I thought Credit Protection does not work if I willingly burn my money...

13. bravens52 thread starter macrumors regular

It works for online shopping as well. Your insured on any item you buy online