Good deal on 2.8ghz octo vs. waiting for wwdc

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Merzie, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Merzie macrumors member

At my local computer store I found a mac pro with 18gb of ram, over 2tb of hard drive space, only 2 months old, virtual pc 4.0, 2.8ghz Octo, 8800GT 512mb---

for $2800.

Should I jump on this or wait for wwdc to get a better deal on a mac pro "nehalem"?! :mad:

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Why would you get a better deal during WWDC ? The Mac Pro won't be updated then.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

The '09 MP's aren't going to get any updates, and I seriously doubt any price drop either. Apple isn't known for lowering prices at WWDC historically. ;)

Get the '08 model, as it's a much better bargain. It's a great machine, and is no slouch. ;) Add 3rd party upgrades, and it would get even better. :D

Good Luck. :)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Mac Pro will not be changed until H1 2010. Buy what you're buying now. Don't be mad about it. ;)

Fixed. Since aught four they've never done it without a hardware change.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

For some strange reason, I don't think a hardware change will happen until the next model though. ;) :D :p

7. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that... didn't realize it. HOnestly, I wanted a really fast computer for engineering school... but I want it to last a long time. I was going to get the macbook pro 2.93ghz. And I thought "Oh what if it's updated at wwdc"-- and it might, but it won't be to quad core processors (which would prove more useful over 5-6 years than dual core). So then I thought I would just sacrifice portability and get a mac pro.

So you think a 2.8ghz 2008 Mac Pro will last a long time? (It looks like this deal would be better than the owc/newegg + bhphotovideo).. and can I use the 4870 in this mac pro (just checking)?

8. snouter macrumors 6502a

yes
    yes with 10.5.7 update

9. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

I'm in the same boat as you! Well not literally but you get my point :). I just bought a 'new' Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 08 today and to be honest I think I've made the best decision of my life. At first I was worried about benchmark scores and rendering figures blahblahblah. At the end of the day as a few others have told me these machines are good for at least 3 years and beyond perhaps. If you can get one at a good price as I did today then your quids in. As far as I'm concerned Nehalem=Hype=£$=overpriced. Ok, T?

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Congratulations. :) It should get you through school. A few upgrades would help to speed it up overall as well, helping to eek out some additional usability. ;)

Yes, the 4870 will work, but it does either have to be the Mac version (EFI), or the right model if you want to flash it. And 10.5.7 as snouter indicated. :D

Enjoy. :cool:

11. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Dude I live in Ireland! As I live in £ land not much rush for Mac Pros here so there are still plenty of bargains to be had!

12. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

Getting a mac pro for the first time is probably like getting a 720p projector for the first time--you'll probably be happy with it.

I think that it would be overkill to get nehalem for college (these days).

I wonder how long it will be before I can upgrade my future 2.8ghz's CPUs for a lower price. However, I doubt the gains would be great there...

13. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

I have a Sony cineza projector I use for outlining & painting murals. Hooked up to my PS3 playing BluRay is gorgeous. Anyhoo a purchase of a mac pro does not neccessarily have to be solely for college. It's like when your parents bought you your 1st pair of shoes, they are too big. You eventually grow into them. However if you are as old as I am and still at university (God help ye) you may be using your MP for other things than simply authoring that DVD fir your course or building a website for some ficitional character in Bermuda:)