Good deal on 2017 13" mbp w/tb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Truefan31, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I'm looking at the base 2017 mbp with tb at bb. It's 1699 right now (100 off). I have a 100 off college deal on top of it. Also have a 115 gift card to use to further lower it.

Now I have an email from bb credit card services for a 10% off single item too. So it'd be about 1800 after tax then -100 then -115 then I'm thinking 10% it'd be around 1400. Would people jump on that? Or would getting the ntb and maybe increasing storage and/or ram be better served?

I'm not a power user but having 4 ports I think would be beneficial. Eventually I'll give it to my son for college and get a egpu for it too. Thoughts?

2. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a great deal. You might want to make sure it works though. I got a 10% email as well but unfortunately they said either or in regards to college coupon or 10% coupon. That and the tax killed it for me.

edit:
    Also not sure if you noticed but the 1699 variant is last years model. The 2017 has the "latest model" tag on them.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...e-latest-model-silver/5721724.p?skuId=5721724

edit part 2:
    Keep in mind you can't increase ram on any of the models if you plan on using your Best Buy gift card as Best Buy only stocks stock configs. The only 16gb Macs are the 15"

3. hectorvs macrumors member

hectorvs

I've gotten those 10% off emails from Best Buy, I believe they have a clause that says it doesn't work on any apple products or other actually good things. So, check first!

4. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Crap looks like you're right. Last years model w/tb. I see the t&c about the 10% off it does say apple computers. Smh

5. hectorvs macrumors member

hectorvs

That's how they get ya... the ol' bait and switch...

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Provided that 10% works towards Apple products, I would say it is a reasonably good deal, but not a great deal. The reason I do not think it is a great deal is because BB was selling the 2016 nTB base model with 256GB SSD for around $1,250 at one point, and had open box models under $1,200. For me, I could not justify the higher pricing of the TB model, and the nTBs better battery life partially factored into my selection.

7. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I understand. I'm wondering if I will need 4 tb3 ports (the 2 on the right are gimped anyway). I really don't care about the tb but Touch ID I like. Smh.

I forgot the ntb gets better battery life. It's actually bigger too I think.

8. hectorvs macrumors member

hectorvs

nTB with the 256gb upgrade is the sweet spot, IMO. You can upgrade the ram to 16gb if you think you'll need it for $200 more. Otherwise it's $1500.

That's the one I have, just having the keyboard issues I posted about in another thread.

9. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I've read about those issues.

Thinking I should maybe go ntb now.

10. hectorvs macrumors member

hectorvs

It seems all MBPs have that issue (nTB and TB models). The only laptops that are "safe" are the 12" MacBooks, it seems.

To be honest, it's a nuisance but not a deal breaker. Keys work, just sound really bad when it gets hot (something in the delicate butterfly mechanism warps and causes the bad click).

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to live with that issue and wait until they actually fix the problem to bring it in for a replacement with AC+