Good deal on 5K iMacs!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mcpix, Mar 9, 2018.

1. mcpix macrumors 6502

Well, not really, but almost. Electronics Valley has new 27" 5K iMacs (2015) with a 3.3GHZ i5 processor and a 2TB Fusion drive for only $1,299 on eBay. Plus, eBay is running a special promotion today with an additional $100 off (pspring20). I also had $400 in my Paypal account which brought my total price down to only $799.

I actually already have one of these at work, but I always wanted to have one at home, and now I do!

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I saw this a few days ago, trying to hold out for 2018 models, but it was tempting. I wasn’t sure if AppleCare+ was an option on a computer bought on eBay however. Were you able to add it?

3. mcpix, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018

mcpix thread starter macrumors 6502

I won't know for sure until I receive it, but the other one I bought on eBay last year (for $1,499) was new and I was able to add Applecare+ without a problem.

I was previously using my MBP with a 27" Thunderbolt Display, but the 5K iMac was just a better and more enjoyable computer to use for editing photos and videos.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

In December 2016 I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro from Electronics Valley via ebay. No problems, it's been fine.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of "overstock liquidation" vendor that has a deal worked out with Apple to "move out" new-old-stock extra inventory...

5. YatBob macrumors regular

YatBob

I purchased a 2015 MBP from Electronic Valley on eBay and was able to purchase Apple Care, the + was not available at the timer

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Thanks. I decided to hold out for a thunderbolt 3/usb-c model, but the AppleCare info is good for others who find this thread.

7. partyboy4357 macrumors member

partyboy4357

Did you get this iMac yet? If so how you like it. Thinking about buying one myself at the 1299 price it still seems like a good deal.

8. mcpix thread starter macrumors 6502

The iMac I received was brand new in the box and works perfectly. I also checked the warranty status and it has the standard 1 yr warranty and AppleCare+ is available to purchase. I know some will hold out for the 2017, but for me it's the perfect choice and obviously a great deal!

9. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I almost pulled the trigger on this again, but stopped myself before hitting the buy button on eBay.

I just think I would prefer a pure ssd vs fusion, and usb-c/thunderbolt 3 to future proof my next mac. I could defuse the drive into a 128k ssd, but I would not have enough space for everything. I could then put the user directory on a larger external usb3 ssd, but it looks kind of a hack to do that. I would worry that upgrades to macOS would somehow lose the user folder.

The other factor for me against purchase was hvec hardware encoding/decoding being 8 bit vs 10 bit, although I don't really know how important that is.

(The downside is my wife wasn't happy I wanted to spend $2,000+ on a computer, and let me know it......)

Still, thanks for checking on the AppleCare+ elegability, and enjoy your purchase. I think this is a great deal if you don't care about those hardware differences, or plan to upgrade more frequently than I plan to.

10. mcpix thread starter macrumors 6502

In my day to day use, the Fusion drive acts just like an SSD. I also have a 2015 MBP with a 512k SSD and I never feel like the iMac is slower when using Photoshop or FCP X. The iMac is just as quick and of course the 5k screen is great to edit on. I also thought about usb-c/thunderbolt 3, but since most of the external video card options are expensive I don't really ever see myself going that way. Plus, I actually have some legacy firewire drives and scanners I use and the TB2 to firewire adapter works great for me (I'm not sure if you can go TB3>TB2>Firewire 800).

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

No, it cost $1199. Just because $400 was in a different bank account than the one you consider your main bank account doesn't mean you didn't pay that money.

12. mcpix thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha! You're right I guess, but I like to consider my PayPal account "fun money" that I can use for computer, electronics or photo gear. If I simply put the money back into my checking account, it goes towards boring stuff like bills :)!

13. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

Sounds like a good deal for a good machine. Congrats. I'm hoping Apple will migrate their improved iMac Pro cooling to the standard iMacs sometime before my next iMac purchase.

14. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I decided to buy a 2017 apple refurbished model direct, vs the refurb deal here (but paid about $1000 more than this deal, chose one with an 512 SSD) it should arrive in a couple of days.

I think it's a good bet that the next iMac will include elements of the iMac Pro cooling, but may lose other features like user replaceable ram. (I suspect that the iMac Pro is a test to see if Apple will offer store replaceable ram for other iMac models.)

I don't know if there will be a 2018 model, they may hold off until 2019 if they are working on a redesigned Mac Pro and/or Mac Mini. I'm just basing it on the 2015 to 2017 time gap to update the iMac, it use to be yearly before that I believe.

I understand that apple wants to prevent the Osborne Effect ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect) with it's computers, but it is hard to figure out the right time to buy with how secret they are with product updates/releasees.