Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Husker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Been looking to replace my iMac to a Mac Pro since I'll be doing more rendering and transcoding than usual the next few months. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Mac Pro, but the 8 core is a little on the expensive side for the 2.66 (I don't want the low end one until I see benchmarks showing me it's faster than a 2.8 Octo)

So I found this Mac Pro deal on Craigslist, very legit, the guy is a few miles from me and I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Just looking for some thoughts as to whether or not this is a good buy. Thanks.

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
* 8GB (4x2GB)
* 750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
* NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
* One 16x SuperDrive
* Apple Mighty Mouse
* Apple Keyboard
* AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

$1700

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Fantastic buy. The original 2.66GHz with 1GB ram and 160GB drives and a 7300GT can go for that much on eBay.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Excellent deal. Much better than to go with the new 4-core Mac Pro.

I cannot wait to see some real benchmarks either. Perhaps you should wait to see the benchmarks of all of the new Mac Pro CPUs versus the two older Octacore models. I suspect that a lot of older Mac Pro owners are going to be shocked at the new Mac Pro speeds. I think a lot of old Mac Pro owners will be selling in masses once the new results come out from various sources about the new CPUs. So perhaps the wait will yield more Mac Pros or even a 3.2 Octacore for that price... but that's all speculation. And the truth is no matter which Mac Pro these owners have, they're all really capable.

Best wishes whichever route you go.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
Did you get it?

I would've been there yesterday!

That's an awesome deal....I'd get it if I could find it!

8GB ram, vid card w/512MB, and a TB of HD space!

Even if better deals come out later....you're not going to find anything close to what you found for a while...just make sure to test it out first...hopefully there's a local apple store you could get it really checked out...seems to good to be true:)

kremer4

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Been looking to replace my iMac to a Mac Pro since I'll be doing more rendering and transcoding than usual the next few months. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Mac Pro, but the 8 core is a little on the expensive side for the 2.66 (I don't want the low end one until I see benchmarks showing me it's faster than a 2.8 Octo)

So I found this Mac Pro deal on Craigslist, very legit, the guy is a few miles from me and I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Just looking for some thoughts as to whether or not this is a good buy. Thanks.

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
* 8GB (4x2GB)
* 750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
* NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
* One 16x SuperDrive
* Apple Mighty Mouse
* Apple Keyboard
* AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

$1700

Fantastic Deal... wait a minute that's my Craigslist Ad :eek: Yes it's a ridiculously good deal but my previous employer bought it for me. Now way would I take a hit like that if I paid for it out of pocket :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.