good deal on a mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tjsdaname, Nov 6, 2009.

1. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I really want to know if this would be a good deal?
    http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/c-u67071

I will be getting a new mac desktop in january, because I will be taking video editing classes and running final cut pro / express

my real question is: Would I be better off getting a 27" i5 imac or the mac pro in the link???

Thanks guy's,

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Not a good deal... Get the iMac.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. admo macrumors member

That seems like a terrible deal for a MacPro. Looks like it is the 2006 model. New at the time was only a few hundred more, and you get the keyboard and the restore discs. So you get 2GB ram more than what was standard, which only costs about $150.

5. tjsdaname thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, new question!!!!! lol

27" i5 imac vs refurbished baseline mac pro (posted above)?????

I will probably end up going imac, but I think I want the upgradability of the mac pro

what would you guy's do??

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

You'd want to compare the i7 based iMac to the refurb '09 Quad to compare more similar machines. ;)

The MP (as does the i7 iMac) has features left out of the i5 chips in that particular iMac model.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It only lacks Hyper-threading which so far is quite useless.

@OP: Mac Pro has far more superior GPUs that iMacs can't even dream about. CPUs are quite equal but Mac Pro's can be upgraded easily. As for RAM, they can take the same amount but MP's costs less.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's missing a couple of other things as well:
    1. Trusted Execution Technology (increases stability, as it allows applications to run in their own space in order to lower BSOD's).

2. Virtualization Technology (VT/VT-d)

Trusted Execution is worth having IMO, and some can benefit from the VT-d feature with current VM software. HT needs more time to be optimized in applications to be useful it seems.

The expandability of the MP is the biggest feature that makes it attractive, as it's easier to recognize, and has the perception (usually accurately), to be more of a universal benefit. ;)

10. justit macrumors 6502a

The MP uses ECC ram vs. non-ECC for iMacs. Now my question, is that really a big deal as it has no effect on speed?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

ECC isn't necessary for most users. If you're in a high radiation environment, it's another story. :p

As per performance, both use DDR3 1066, but I don't know if the iMac is using a CAS latency of 6, 7, or 8 (my guess would be 7). The MP uses CAS = 7. So performance would be identical or very close in a worst case scenario.

So far, there's no way to OC either AFAIK to improve performance of either system.