Good Deal on a MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RSNL, Mar 28, 2008.

1. RSNL macrumors regular

I just bought the refurbished one, but it is still unopened. I found this in at newegg.. Brand new, but only comes with Tiger.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100024

Should I return the refurb and get this?
    I can also go drive to Oregon (3.5 hr drive) and get the base peryn model for 1800 after student discount. What should I do..my refurb is still in the box unopened.

Buy the Newegg one, go to portland and get the base peryn model TAX FREE, or keep the REFURB.

2. scott99a macrumors newbie

Well I just ordered that same system from Newegg yesterday and haven't received my laptop yet, but there are some comments on the product page from users stating that it did come with the v10.5 Leopard disc. I can't imagine this system would not include that latest version of OS X.

3. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

4. dmb3886 macrumors regular

5. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I still think this is a pretty good deal. Its basically a NEW 2.4 Memron for the price of the 2.4 Refurb from Apple.

the only stumbling block is that it says Tiger... I would buy it..

6. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

would you guys make the drive to portland 3.5 hrs to get a peryn for 1800 w/ student discount tax free? Of course gas will be split btwn my friend and i.

7. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I bought the same one on Newegg, for $1500. (It was the 128mb model, wasn't sure if that was the one you linked or not.) Just received it a few hours ago, HOLY SMOKES I LOVE IT! First Mac ever, and will be buying them from now on!!!

Now, IT DOES COME WITH LEOPARD!!! I was prepared to buy it, but upon booting it up, it came with leopard! I was SO excited!!

8. scott99a macrumors newbie

That's good to hear. I was also about to purchase it but was waiting to see once I got my system.

To the OP. Did you pay tax on your refurb and does newegg charge tax for your state? This was a deciding factor for me in going with the newegg. I used some of the money I saved to buy a 320gb hard drive and 4gb ram.

9. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

I get the difference between the one from new egg and the refurbished on. The graphic card being sold with the new egg is 128mb and the refurbb is 256mb

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I just bought a new "old stock" SR 2.4 MBP last week. It came with Leopard installed as well as the Leopard install DVDs (the grey ones that come with the computer...not the drop in DVD).

It might possibly come with Leopard.

i say its up to you. Is the screen good on the refurb you have now? If it is, i'd keep it. There's a possibility you might end up with a bad screen from the one on newegg. I had to return my first SR MBP and exchange it due to uneven backlighting. Now its perfect.

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

there are mixed reviews with newegg.com as well as macmall in terms of the machine itself.. buying RAM from them is ok..
    but i would stick with apple store or apple.com. best buy is also an option.

you need to consider the comfort and ease of exchanging or bringing products for repair..
    are you ok with shipping and then waiting for the replacement?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd says get the new base model. More future proof.