Good deal on a refurbished Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeff_siler, Jun 6, 2008.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Apple has a 2.16 Macbook Pro for 1299 refurbished. Is this a good deal? Would it still perform realatively close to the 2.4Ghz Penryn that is $1699 refurbished? I wouldnt mind saving $400.

I'll mostly be using it for Xcode development.

Oh and I know these 2.16 Core 2's had a serious whine issue when released. Is it possible this refurbished one would still have it?

Jeff

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

THe 2.16Ghz processor in the Macbook Pros is not a Penryn processor. I will be slower and possible have a slower FSB as well, I think.

3. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if I didn't make this clear but I know that the 2.16 is not a Penryn, I am curious if it is worth saving the $400 and going with this processor?

Jeff

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

No, not worth it. This model had many problems.

5. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Well bummer I was too late anyway. They are now gone from the refurbished store.

What about SR Macbook Pro's from the refurbished section. Would they be a good option to save over the Penryn's?

Jeff

6. MDiddy macrumors regular

MDiddy

I have a 2.2Ghz SR and am quite happy with it. I maxed out the RAM and run Adobe's Master Collection/Flex 3 and it performs like a champ. One suggestion…grab an AppleCare form eBay before the warranty expires.