Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cschell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
OK,

So it's time. My G4 500 is just not handling my graphics work well... great machine -- too long in the tooth.

My options right now are as follows:
- Floor model (open box) Dual 2.5 Powermac from local source -- stock configuration
$2199
- Refurbished Dual 2.0 from Apple Store
$1649

I would be popping in an additional 2GB of RAM up front on either machine. I do mainly graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) with the occasional video or garage band project thrown in. I'm hooking up to a first generation 20" cinema display.

So what's your feeling on the better deal? With the 2.0 I would have money for extras (possibly a Wacom tablet), but with the 2.5 I would have the speed.

What would you do?

Thanks!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
cschell said:
OK,

So it's time. My G4 500 is just not handling my graphics work well... great machine -- too long in the tooth.

My options right now are as follows:
- Floor model (open box) Dual 2.5 Powermac from local source -- stock configuration
$2199
- Refurbished Dual 2.0 from Apple Store
$1649

I would be popping in an additional 2GB of RAM up front on either machine. I do mainly graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) with the occasional video or garage band project thrown in. I'm hooking up to a first generation 20" cinema display.

So what's your feeling on the better deal? With the 2.0 I would have money for extras (possibly a Wacom tablet), but with the 2.5 I would have the speed.

What would you do?

Thanks!

I'd go for the 2.0ghz, and take the extra cash for extras (Ram Ext. HD) Pop some extra ram into that baby and you'll be flyin..

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I agree when you take into account the money you will be saving the 2.0 seems by far the better option and it will leave you with some $£$£ for some extra bits like airport, and a better graphics card,

ShadOW

cschell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
another quick question

Also, if I did go with the dual 2.0, the newest version or the older one? Am I going to see any advantage for PCI-X or 8GB ram?

Thanks for your replies!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
You should go with the new 2.0. It will have the updated specifications. The 8 GB of RAM should have your Mac flying. I would also recommend AppleCare.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
wdlove said:
You should go with the new 2.0. It will have the updated specifications. The 8 GB of RAM should have your Mac flying. I would also recommend AppleCare.

Umm....., the new dual 2.0 maxes out at 4GB of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.