Good deal on iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -tWv-, May 8, 2011.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I am looking for a 12" iBook to give as a birthday present to someone who just needs a simple computer for email/web-browsing/word processing and not much else. I was looking at this one from OWC, and it looks to be a pretty good deal compared to the other ones I have found on ebay and elsewhere. The only thing that worries me is that is says "grade C condition" and I don't want the ibook to look old and used when they open it up.

Is this a good deal? Should I go for it?

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

My bet is it would have some scuffs etc but would function fine personally I would get a used or refurbished 16GB iPad or older intel Macbook the iBooks are a pain to take apart if something breaks and your stuck on leopard however I would run Tiger for somewhat better performance.

3. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Another question.. This iBook says it comes with a battery, but it is not guaranteed to have the same capacity as the original. It says it will hold a charge, but I'm guessing if it is actually the apple original battery, the capacity is going to be very low since it is an older machine. Should I go ahead and buy a new battery for it?

4. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

The price is not bad, but what is it with those "anti-theft" tags? That just screams "you bought this used from some company" to me and I could not live with them. Check around, you can find iBooks in the $200 to 300 range with decent batteries and without the stickers. If you can find one with a better battery for 50 to 60 more, you are money ahead. Try PowerBook Medic or Mac Restore, they sometimes have good buys on older iBooks.

5. stroked Suspended

stroked

I think it's a good deal, but your buying a 6 year old computer. It will look used, but you might luck out, and get one with a newer battery. How hard would it be to remove those stickers?

I like my iBook, with Leopard, and I wouldn't trade it for an iPad.

6. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Would it be difficult to remove the stickers?

7. rtheb macrumors 6502

The 12" iBook is a great little machine but you have to max out the memory for any decent performance.

As stated earlier, the iBook is a real be_atch to disassemble for upgrades or repairs other than memory.

I've done it twice to install a 500 GB Hard Drive and a DVD DL burning Superdrive.

After about 200 tiny screws and a fragile power connector, I just now drag it to my local Apple Repair shop and let them deal with it.

10.5.8 Leopard runs fine if you install the maximum memory.

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Those anti-theft/ID sticker are purposely made to be difficult to remove. If you do get them off, you'll likely find that underneath them is a second, even more securely affixed sticker or even something etched permanently on the computers case. Out of curiosity, I once tried to remove one of these tags from a busted computer that was being tossed in the dumpster where I used to work. It came off, but not without marring up the surface really bad, and beneath it was an statement that said something like "this device has been stolen".

9. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah I ended up just getting another ibook with a broken logic board from a friend so I will just switch out the top cases when it gets here instead of trying to rip the stickers off.

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

In that case, you might as well try and tell us how it went :)

11. AlbertClay macrumors newbie

Thanks for this interesting writing.Nice ideas.

12. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah I will after I get everything all switched out. I'll post pics of before/after when I get to it.

13. macman312 macrumors 6502

No I would go for a used 2006 macbook pro with leopard. The reason is that a ibook is pretty old and it might be hard to fix if it breaks

14. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Already ordered the ibook haha.. Besides I don't really have the budget for a macbook, if it breaks then I guess I'll be out of luck but I know it is still pretty easy to find iBook parts on ifixit so hopefully i'll be able to make the repairs myself if that happens.

15. macman312 macrumors 6502

Thats a shame because I was going to suggest a used powermac and a screen if your friend doesn't need a laptop
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac...e_Desktops&hash=item2a10722d11#ht_4083wt_1141

16. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Thanks for the suggestion, but they are going to need a laptop in order to take notes in class and a portable will be much easier for them to handle in terms of space etc. I'll keep the powermac in mind though if I have any friends in need of a desktop computer.

17. ZazenZach macrumors member

buy a netbook from dell or something

no use in buying decade old technology (yes, those specs were on PCs a decade ago).

18. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just got the iBook today. Luckily there weren't any no theft tags on it, and it looks almost brand new, way better than "Grade C Condition." Anyone needing parts or anything for a mac should visit macsales.com. I have bought a number of things from them and everything has been shipped swiftly and is always in great condition. The only exterior problem on the iBook is that there is a small hairline crack on the underside of the iBook, but there are no cosmetic problems apart from that. Very happy with my purchase :)