Good Deal on iMac G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ModestINK, May 15, 2007.

1. ModestINK macrumors member

ModestINK

I have a Macbook and i use it alot but i have to travel alot to my grammas cause i go to school close to her house. So i want to buy a iMac g4 for her house because i go there 2 times a week. and i hate packing. and i like imac g4's

Imac G4

Apple iMac 700MHz G4 Computer
    OS 10.4 installed (does not come with installation DVD)
    512MB RAM
    40 GB HD
    DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    Active-matrix 15" LCD display with easy height, tilt, swivel adjustment
    Apple Power Cord
    Does not include a mouse or keyboard

For 415.00$

Is this a good deal or should i get something different like a powerbook ??

2. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

That is not a good deal, in my opinion. The G4 will be painfully slow for a lot of things, and you can get a G5 iMac for the same price or close to it.

For example, I just bought a G5 1.8Ghz iMac on Craigslist for $450. You may want to check there first.

You can also get a refurbished Core Solo Mac Mini with Remote, more RAM, and newer software for just a little more money.

3. ModestINK thread starter macrumors member

ModestINK

How bout this one

How bout this one is this a good deal ??

You are bidding on in perfect working condition of iMac G4 700 1GB/40 CDRW Drive 15" Screen OSX)
    Imac 700MHZ
    1GB MEMORY

40GB HARD DRIVE
    15" Screen
    OS 10.3

OS 10 has been installed on it.NO CD and Airport card.

Looks in perfect condition.

15" Screen; No dead pixel and Scraches at all.

Comes with Power cord .

for 400.00$

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I got an 15" 800 MHz iMac G4 more then a year ago for less. :rolleyes:

5. jcoop macrumors member

A 700 mhz iMac will be slow. Really slow. PAINFULLY slow if you're used to your Macbook. My wife has a 700 mhz G4 iMac, and I can hardly bear it--and my fastest Mac is a Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz.

The G4 iMac remains an elegant design, but the 700 mhz model not only has a slow processor, but also is crippled with inadequate L2 cache (only 256 mb).

You should be able to do better for $400.

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Whoa guys, just a minute here....

IMHO the most important question to be answered is "What do you want to do with it?" Chances are, if you're using it as a second computer at a second location, you're not going to be doing anything too demanding with it. Probably just email, web surfing, and maybe burning the odd music CD? I don't imagine you'll be compressing too many DVD's or recording too many Garageband symphonies at your mom's house. ;)

All the other posters so far are correct, by 2007 standards it's got pretty lame-ass specs. But it's still an iMac, and it looks amazing no matter where you put it. So I'm betting that it will be perfectly suited to whatever you (or your parents) want to do with it. In fact all their grey-haired friends will be blown away by how "modern" it looks. So dude, I say go for it!

(Of course, I'm the guy that just posted a thread about how happy I am with a 600Mhz iMac G3 that I saved from a garage sale. It's going at my mother's house and it will do everything I need there, and then some...)

7. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

You can get it for cheaper, I just sold an imac g4 800mhz,512mb, 60gb hd...for $400 bucks, that computer is worth $300 max, maybe less.

8. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

1.8ghz G5 for $450 that was a find if I've seen one...wow, let me know if you find anymore of those.