Good Deal on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplymuzik3, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2009

    I've been looking into waiting and getting a new Mac Pro (if they ever come out). However, I WONT be using the machine for all its power, but instead, I need the expansion. The current gen is more than powerful enough for me, but I just thought I'd wait and get the latest tech. I came across this Mac Pro on kijiji, and here are the specs for it. It's a current gen 2.66 Quad Core with some upgrades for $2500.


    Mint Condition Mac Pro with a 2.66 quad Xeon Nehalem Processor.
    This is the 2009 model which has the new processors that the 2008 models and the previous did not contain. It supports hyperthreading, turbo-boosting and a feature that the i7's do not have being ECC (error correction for the ram); boosting performance into an entirely different realm of power and smoothness.

    Specs are as follows:

    3 Hard drives: 75 GB Raptor 10,000 RPM (where the OS is loaded for much faster speed) / 250GB and the Stock 640 GB
    Stock graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
    Ram: 7 gigs of DDR3 Fully buffered ECC Ram
    Comes with everything included (disks, mouse, keyboard, books) and the box.
    Also includes an airport card.

    Absolute Beast of a Computer, amazing aesthetically and hardly been used. Cleaned out often and runs perfectly.

    Will not ship. (Locals Only)

    Price is firm at 2500.
    **Also, this computer has a few programs loaded on it such as Photoshop CS5 as well as Windows XP Professional on the 250 GB HD**

    I can remove these or keep them on. I personally don't mind either way. Both are quite expensive, especially Photoshop CS5.

    Why pay for a new one at 2899.99 when this has much more in it, its just as quick if not faster, as well as its in the same condition a new one will come in.


    It's about $500 cheaper than buying a new one with education discount (that doesn't even include the upgrades already done to the computer). So what do you think? Remember that I don't need the power of a newer machine (let alone this one), but I just need it for expandability and I need it to last me around 4-5 years. Will this work out well, or should I just wait for new ones (which will be about a $650 difference compared to this machine - my guess).

  2. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a


    Jan 25, 2007
    In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
    would be a great deal if it had dual xeons. Single one, I'm not so sure its worth it. Prices have dropped on most xeons, and really most CPU manufacturers are now just focking the consumers in the arse with these prices.
  3. tallguy macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2008
    I think it's a fair price with all the upgrades that he did. You could always try and offer him 2400 (worst he could say is no). Something else you should ask is exactly when he bought it because if you wanted Applecare then it would have to be less than a year ago I believe.

    Mac's do keep there value though. For example I sold my Macbook Pro for almost the amount I paid for it with the free iPod deal (sold the iPod).
  4. BurningJah macrumors regular


    Apr 15, 2010
    Just buy it! as you sad you don't gonna do power extensive stuff! so you don't need all the power the dual xeon offers! just 1 will be enough for you I guess

    and it is really a sweet deal!!

    just go for it! you wont regret it

    ( sorry about all the exclamation points! :D)

Share This Page