Good deal on MacBook? + AppleCare question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by someguy, Sep 14, 2008.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So I'm going to look at a used MacBook today and I want to know what you guys think of the deal.

It's a 2.0Ghz Core Duo (1st Gen), 1GB RAM, 60GB HD, Tiger, includes install disks and original packaging.

The system has just been sent back from Apple (refurbished) and was given almost all new casing, RAM, and a few other things.

It also has one year of AppleCare left on it. My question about AppleCare is how do I transfer it to my name, and do I need to right away or can I wait until (IF) I need to use it?

He is asking $400, which I think is a steal, but I wanted to get some opinions on it first. Thanks. :)

2. mdgolom macrumors 6502

It sounds like an incredible deal. As is often pointed out here, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

If it's legit, it's a great deal. AppleCare can be transfered, and in the past, as the seller, I needed to fax/email something to Apple to transfer the warranty to the new owner. I also bought a Mac though a friend's educational discount and had it transfered at the Apple store when it needed service. In any case, I would transfer it before you actually need it so you don't encounter any issues. I'm sure the information you're looking for is on Apple's support page somewhere.

Good luck!

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I was looking at this the other day, so it was close to hand.

From the AppleCare terms and conditions document:
    Personally, I'd call, just to help streamline the process.

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Right. We are meeting up in a few hours and he is bringing everything, so I'll get to test it out beforehand. :)

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely be referring back to this post later on.

Aside for proof that the system actually has AppleCare which has yet to expire, is there any reason I should need the actual box (and included items) you get when you buy AppleCare? My parents have an iMac with AppleCare and they received a small red box to go along with it, but I'm not sure what was in there. Is it important?

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, it wasn't too good to be true!

I am now the proud owner of a 2.0GHz MacBook CD with 1GB of RAM, 60GB HD, Superdrive, Leopard, and all the other goodies MacBook's come with (iSight, AE+BT, etc). It even has the remote, MiniDVI adapter, and I might be able to get the original packaging for it. Oh, and it has approximately 9-10mo. of AppleCare left. I got the AC box and everything.

All for $350! :D

I might put up a feeler thread in the coming days/weeks. If I can turn around and sell this for a hundred or two shy of a C2D model, I just may do it!

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Nice score! You should be able to turn that easily, esp. with AC.

7. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks! I'm thinking of keeping it and getting my money back (and hopefully then some) by selling my 15" PowerBook G4. I need to post a feeler for the PowerBook to see what I could get for it though.

No thanks. :p

9. kalex macrumors 65816

LOL

Nice deal.

See once you posted it for sale on this site its going to be hard to get what you are looking for simply because of one feature of this forum which is very good i think, "Search" :)

10. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

The amount I paid when I bought it in no way affects the value of the machine, if that's what you are saying.

Besides, I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon. :D